Design 
  Community 
  Architecture 
  Discussion 

Message - Re: Progressive collapse of Twin Towers

Responses | Architecture Forum | Architecture Students | Architecture Scrapbook | ArchitectureWeek    

Posted by  ngon nguyen on October 01, 2001 at 10:40:30:

In Reply to:  Re: Progressive collapse of Twin Towers posted by Paul Dremann on September 30, 2001 at 05:51:17:

Thank you for your response. Most people thought damper system is a redundant system. For WTC, it is not a redundant system! It is an integral and an essential part of their lateral resistance system. After this system is out, under the vortex shedding of a morning breeze, Twin Towers gallop…. Any one involving in the design of a stack would understand this galloping effect.
As a student for more than 3 decades now, I often raise my concern about the fireproofing of these dampers. However, from UC Berkley to SUNY at Buffalo, people who promote these devices often ignore it as an unlikely event because of the difficulties in fireproofing these devices and in allowing them to move at any time also.
PS: I will email my write-up to you now.

Search      ArchWeek      Buildings      Architects      Types      Places      Pix      Free 3D Models      Store      Library

Search GreatBuildings.com by name of Building, Architect, or Place:   
Examples:  "Fallingwater",  "Wright",  "Paris"           Advanced Search

Responses:

Post a Response -

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

This is an archive page. Please post continuing discussion to the new Architecture Forums.

To post successfully to the new membership-based DesignCommunity Forums:

1) Go to the new forums area.
    2) Register with a valid email address.
    3) Receive and respond to the confirmation email.
    4) Then login to the new forum system.

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | Great Buildings | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Free 3D | Gallery | Support | Search | ArchitectureWeek
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. /discussion/7516.html