Artifice 
  3D Design 
  Community 
  Discussion

Message - 12 and 0.0833333 default DW settings

Follow Ups | Post Followup | DesignWorkshop Forum | Great Buildings Forum    

Posted by  Jeff on February 01, 2001 at 13:51:20:

In a few messages regarding "scale" the question was asked of DW why the default values used in the system for Importing and Exporting DXF files. Here is the result of that inquiry.

DW uses a multiplier of 0.0833333 (1/12) when it Imports a DXF file. DW folks say that that is because most DXF files are scaled in "inches" and DW works in "feet". That makes sense...I think. I can't totally agree or disagree just yet because I've experienced proper and improper scale importing of CAD drawing DXF files into DW.

On the other hand, DW uses a multiplier of 12 when it Exports a DXF file. And, that was given the same reason. I, however, typically only export a DXF file for one reason...to get it into Artlantis with the least amount of effort. So, I CHANGED THE SETTINGS!

You can easily change these settings by opening the DW.ini file in a word processor. I've changed my Import setting to "1". I may get some rude awakenings, but I can always change it back to 12 later on. More importantly, I've changed my Export setting to 30.48. Does that number ring a bell? That will automatically take my DW model and convert it to cm's on it's trip to Artlantis. Therefore, I simply use the default 1.00 Scale Factor when I am prompted in Artlantis when I'm opening the DXF file (AutoCAD DXF 14).

Now you don't have to go run and change the DW.ini settings if you are not comfortable in doing so. I really like the fact I just don't have to think about it anymore (I will if I ever need to send someone a DXF...hasn't happened yet though).

If you have chosen to leave DW at it's default DXF Export setting of "12", and you know that your model was scaled properly while you were creating it in DW, your exported DXF files will be scaled now in "inches". You should use a Scale Factor of 2.54 (1 inch = 2.54 cm) when propted by Artlantis to open the DXF file at proper scale.

If you have already changed the DW Export setting to "1", as I know some of you have, your exported DXF files are scaled in "feet" just as they were while you were creating them in DW. You should use a Scale Factor of 30.48 (1 foot = 30.48 cm) when prompted by Artlantis to open the DXF file at the proper scale.

By the way...still no word from Artlantis on the 3DMF scale bug.

Follow Up Messages:

Post a Follow Up Message -

This is a discussion forum archive page.

For continuing discussion, please visit our updated Open 3D CAD Forum.

DesignWorkshop Forum | User Gallery | Architecture Forum | Scrapbook | E-Design Forum | ArchitectureWeek

Artifice, Inc. ...the way of architecture.

Home | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Great Buildings | RenderCity | Free 3D | Gallery | Support | Search | Index
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/forum/5830.html