Artifice 
  3D Design 
  Community 
  Discussion

Message - Re: Lights Out! in 4.0

Follow Ups | Post Followup | DesignWorkshop Forum | Great Buildings Forum    

Posted by  Artlantis Tech Support (c/o Jeff) on February 16, 2001 at 14:20:07:

In Reply to:  Re: Lights Out! in 4.0 posted by Jeff on February 15, 2001 at 14:05:46:

I wanted to pass along what I received from Abvent on the Lighting Issue between Artlantis 3.5 and 4.0. I'm sure a few of you long time 3.5 users will be interested. 4.0 looks like its got some real cool lighting features. May be what you were looking for Andrea. May add a pretty nice touch to some of that great animation stuff you do Larry. Here ya go:

Jeff,

Please find here some more information about the new lighting model,
compared to Art€lantis 3.5's one :

In A. 3.5, the light power is steady (if you do not put Max distance of illumination (A) or Limits of Illumination (B)). An object will receive the same illumination whatever its distance to the light source is.

In A. 4.0, the lighting model is more realistic and the light intensity decreases with the distance. So, as you noticed, in a given file, an object lighted with a power of 30 in A. 3.5, will receive the full amount of light, whereas in a 4.0 file, it will receive 30k only (k<1 being the coefficient of light decrease with
distance).

In an indoor model, k may be between 1/2 and 1/3, as you mentioned. In an outdoor model, with an object distant of 100 meters from the light source, k will be around 1/10. This is the reason why Art€lantis cannot 'automatically' adjust it for the user.

Let me also precise you that, in A. 3.5, the parameter 'Max dist. of
illumination' (A) defines the point from which the light starts to decrease. In A. 4.0, the light intensity in the zone between the light source and A is the light intensity reached at point A (power set up in the dialog box * k). Consequently, unlike in A. 3.5, the further A is set up, the darker the whole scene is (with unchanging power cursor).

I hope this helps understanding the changes in results between the 2
versions, and using Art€lantis 4.0. Of course you can share these
information with users you are in touch with !

Regards,

Odile
techsupport@abvent.com

This is a discussion forum archive page.

For continuing discussion, please visit our updated Open 3D CAD Forum.

DesignWorkshop Forum | User Gallery | Architecture Forum | Scrapbook | E-Design Forum | ArchitectureWeek

Artifice, Inc. ...the way of architecture.

Home | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Great Buildings | RenderCity | Free 3D | Gallery | Support | Search | Index
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/forum/5880.html