Artifice 
  DesignWorkshop 
  3D Design 
  Discussion

Message - Compound Curves...creating them???

Follow Ups | DesignWorkshop 3D CAD Forum | User Gallery | Architecture Forum

Posted by  Chuck Gallup on March 02, 2001 at 13:38:26:

I have been fomenting for most of the week trying to figger out how to form curves.

The end product is a funnel to guide power cable and restrict the bend to 2.5 meters.

What I am looking for is a 1/2' plate, 80" wide, rolled to a 100" radius, about 110" long. I would like to see only the plate form and not a "wedge shape" if you will, under the curve. Now ...I can produce a curve with a 100" radius, but...I find the cutting tool difficult to figger out and the process is trial and error to achieve 110".

The hard part, then, is fitting another curve to the 100" radius. I want a 10" plate oriented 90 degrees to the first, to follow the plate lengthwise but form a 2.5 meter radius in the process. "Compound curve"

I tried lathing with no positive results. What I did was draw a box in DW representing and end view of an 80" by 1/2" plate but it wouldn't accept it as a polyline. Also, I couldn't figger how to get the radius. Then I drew two 80" lines 1/2" apart. The lathing machine accepted that...sent me back a file...but when I open it, It appears to open then vanishes.

Also...the same question applies to pipes. How would I draw compound curves with pipe?

If I'm nuts, let me know. We took quite a shaking here in Seattle but I think this is a ligitimate question:)

Chuck

Shaken, Not Stirred!

Follow Up Messages:

Post a Follow Up Message -

This is a discussion forum archive page.

For continuing discussion, please visit our updated Open 3D CAD Forum.

DesignWorkshop Forum | User Gallery | Architecture Forum | Scrapbook | E-Design Forum | ArchitectureWeek

Artifice, Inc. ...the way of architecture.

Home | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Great Buildings | RenderCity | Free 3D | Gallery | Support | Search | Index
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/forum/5973.html