Artifice 
  DesignWorkshop 
  3D Design 
  Discussion

Message - Re: Compound Curves...creating them???

Follow Ups | DesignWorkshop 3D CAD Forum | User Gallery | Architecture Forum

Posted by  Mike Wheeler on March 02, 2001 at 16:46:46:

In Reply to:  Compound Curves...creating them??? posted by Chuck Gallup on March 02, 2001 at 13:38:26:

Dear Chuck,

Thank you for contacting Artifice.

I think the first step is to make a polyline of the cross-section of the plate.

From what I understand of your post I think you want to use the Arc tool to draw an arc with a 100" radius and then draw another arc with the same origin and a 99.5" radius. The two arcs represent each side of the 1/2" plate.

Now turn on Snap-To-Handles and choose the Polyline Tool. You will now trace the curved parts of the two arcs so you have a single polyline which is your 1/2" thick plate with a 100" radius. You can now delete the two arcs which you used for construction.

Now position this arc so its distance from the 0,0 axis in DesignWorkshop matches the radius you want in the other dimension. Save this file with only your poolyline in it. Go to the Lathe Machine, select your file, make the setting you want, such as degrees of rotation and click the "Make Me A Lathed Object" button.

The result should be the object you are trying to create.

Once you get the hang of the Lathe Machine you should be able to make any curved objects you need. For more complex objects you can use the Lofting machine which connects a series of polylines into one solid object.

Regards,

Mike Wheeler
support@artifice.com

Follow Up Messages:

Post a Follow Up Message -

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

DesignWorkshop Forum | User Gallery | Architecture Forum | Scrapbook | E-Design Forum | ArchitectureWeek

Artifice, Inc. ...the way of architecture.

Home | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Great Buildings | RenderCity | Free 3D | Gallery | Support | Search | Index
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/forum/5975.html