DesignWorkshop 
  3D Design 
  Discussion

Message - Re: Simple Drawing

Follow Ups | DesignWorkshop 3D CAD Forum | User Gallery | Architecture Forum

Posted by  Santiago Molina on August 07, 2001 at 20:31:45:

In Reply to:  Simple Drawing posted by build on August 07, 2001 at 14:46:56:

Hi:

In my opinion, you've got the right program for the job.
I haven't had any experience with any of the drafting programs you mention, but i've used dw with acad files, some tcad adn vectorworks, and I've been able to do something useful with these, as long as they are set up correctly.
1- As far as scale is concerned, it should only be used for printing from your drafting prog, For working in dw, it's easier if you work 1:1.
2- Dw will only receive files up to version 14 of dwg and dxf. There should be an option to save your files in that format.
3- Simplify your drawing as much as possible. That means, eliminating hatches, dimensions, text, etc.
4- Work with polylines instead of lines, so you can make solids out of your extrusions.
5- There should be a way to set the absolute origin of your drawing (point 0,0) in the center of your drawing in your draft prog, so when you import it into dw, it will show up in the center of the grid.

Once all that prep work is done, send the files to dw and you'll be set to go. Once there it's a lot easier.

I recommend you follow at least one of the online tutorials available, so you can grasp the workings of dw.

Good luck.

Santiago

This is a discussion forum archive page.

For continuing discussion, please visit our updated Open 3D CAD Forum.

DesignWorkshop Forum | User Gallery | Architecture Forum | Scrapbook | E-Design Forum | ArchitectureWeek

Artifice, Inc. ...the way of architecture.

Home | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Great Buildings | RenderCity | Free 3D | Gallery | Support | Search | Index
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/forum/6464.html