Artifice 
  DesignWorkshop 
  3D Design 
  Discussion

Message - From 2D CAD to 3D CAD

Follow Ups | DesignWorkshop 3D CAD Forum | User Gallery | Architecture Forum

Posted by  Steven Charlton on January 13, 2004 at 02:50:49:

Hi all, I am hoping to get some feedback on your thoughts on this transition period from 2D to 3D CAD...
I am currently doing some work for an Interior Architecture practice, and we are looking to move from Microstation 2D to Microstation 3D (v8)... now as I have been testing this a few problems have been encountered....

1) The level structure is set up for 2D drawings (and is constructionaly set up, ie level 32 internal openings) but when I am producing the 3D drawing this structure seems inappropriate given the complexity of the model? Has anyone else encountered this; did they change the level structure?

2)Do people tend to reference in all the various complex elements of the drawing (shop fronts, floors etc)?

3)Did people find that the cells that were used in 2D had to be redrawn because of broken geometry?

4)More of an open question this one: What is the use of producing a accurate prototype of the interior, when really a 3D model is more usefull in the concept stages (to sell the idea to the client)? Am I completly off the mark here?

Thanks for any advice here... just like to say I am by no means an expert on Microstation...all my previous work has been done on Max/Viz! So any advice is good advice...

Follow Up Messages:

Post a Follow Up Message -

This is a discussion forum archive page.

For continuing discussion, please visit our updated Open 3D CAD Forum.

DesignWorkshop Forum | User Gallery | Architecture Forum | Scrapbook | E-Design Forum | ArchitectureWeek

Special thanks to our Sustaining Subscribers including BuilderSpace.com .

Home | CAD Outpost | DesignWorkshop | Great Buildings | RenderCity | Free 3D | Gallery | Support | Search | Index
This document is provided for on-line viewing only. http://www.DesignCommunity.com/forum/9589.html