Kinetic architecture

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Kinetic architecture

Postby ar_t_kaushik » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:00 am

hi ..

Any reviews on kinetic architecture as topic for thesis...
ar_t_kaushik

Postby Tomek » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:02 pm

Hey, I am currently researching this topic for a similar reason, however its an expanding topic of which isn't as definitive as one would imagine.

Look at the work of Kas Oosterhuis and their is an organisation at the MIT named "The Kinetic Desin group". On their website downloadable essays and writings on matters kinetic arhitecture are available and are of a reasnoble quality.

Good luck!
Tomek

Postby gunavanti » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:20 am

Hi,
I am 9th sem arch. student & my thesis topic is to explore relationship between dance & architecture.
Even I m doing some research on that.
So we can share our views.
gunavanti

Ya that is a good topic

Postby gunavanti » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:28 am

Kinetic architecture is a wide topic & it contains a lot to explore. Even I am doing some research on that so when I get any info I will let you know.
gunavanti

benifit?

Postby nsabir » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:55 am

..hi.. i need help over a point.. y is kinetic architecture benificial?... and its uses?.... any useful links and some projects for case study would be very helpful.. thnx
nsabir

Postby Tomek » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:59 am

Nsabir, Kinetic architecture is useful and benificial, becuase it will evolve to become an essential architectural principle within the digital revolution.

Just imagine for example, a building that could change it's shape for flexibility and for purposes in relation to external weather conditions. A building by day could be a nursery and change by night to become a garage thus halfing land use, maximising flexibility, reducing energy to get into the real mechanics of sustainbility, land shortage and peoples needs.

Another scenario is in places where earthquakes are common. A buiilding could react to this situation saving lifes in the long run.

Kinetic architecture is the future, i reccomend 'Architecture goes wild' by Kaas Osterhuis and www.oosterhuis.nl - check out his projects.... he makes Rem Koolhaus look like bugs bunny!......If you also have access to a journal called 'Architectural design' search it's archives for articles by Neil Spiller.....best, Tomek
Tomek

Postby nsabir » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:11 pm

thnx tomek..appreciated..
nsabir

Postby dominique » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:29 am

hi..
kinetic sounds interesting..
i am planning a thesis on kinesthetics.not sure if this is what u plan to do..
study on evolution of spaces in terms of sequence,movement and psychological impact

do keep me informed about ur progress
dominique

tomek....

Postby nsabir » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:42 am

.. but how can a specific kinetic design be justified in any urban context.. like... if i design a residential space incorporating kinetic architecture..like i box or suitcase house by edge design inst. how can a single unit be justified rather making a bunch of in a master planned site..?..
nsabir

Postby Tomek » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:54 am

I'm tackling this issue in one of my sketchbook 'personnal' projetcs. The principle is to make the technology apply itself as simple as possible. For instance lets make a residential block inspired by nature- take an oak tree. The service block would always be static and a permanent core and would be the bark and branches. Lets say the living units were the leaves of this tree and possesed individual kinetic capabilities. In this sceneario each unit or leave could move how and when it wants etc without effecting the other leaves but still conntected to services. If i am having a party in my unit or leave I move my house to the top of the tree, if it's too hot I move it to the bottom. Kinetic architecture.

I hope this makes sense, but their is no set definition to a design problem with kinetic, liquid or cyberspatial Architecture.
Tomek

Postby nsabir » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:38 pm

hmm.. ok thts fine tht if there are different units.. they will behave differently...... but would it be necessary to construct a whole system of houses rather than only one....i mean it can be a proposal tht this one unit would be a prototype for effective living.... i hope i make sense....:(
nsabir

Kinetic Architecture

Postby KineticArchitect » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:22 pm

you might like this website with many examples of kinetic architecture
http://www.kineticarchitecture.net
KineticArchitect

how can kinetic architecture be sustainable?

Postby spacekings » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:35 am

considering its cost, installation, and maintenance....
spacekings

Return to Architecture Students Forum