Residential Design - Find solutions and be effective

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Residential Design - Find solutions and be effective

Postby Bianca Boie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:03 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am student at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale and graduating in a week.

Working on my final project and few others during school years, made me realize that design is not just about finding the right fabrics and mix and matching the right colors. Moreover, when designing a space one should keep in mind so many aspects of it: client's desires and needs, space, light, functionality, comfort, theme, colors and last but not least - budget. From the business point of view, the design itself represents only 40-50 % of the actual project, the rest is purely business - being able to manage and deal with all the problems that might occur in the design process.

But with all these in mind, there are times and clients when your design solution has to be done in a short period of time. You have to be creative in an efficient way, come with your design concept and work towards accomplishment.

My question now, to all of you is, how can you increase your efficiency, so as you can create the design you want and do it in an effective time? Do you have any suggestions, or personal rules you follow or strategies you apply in your own business that is setting up a design pattern easy to follow each time?

With my own projects, I just take too much time getting the design concept, then finding the right furniture, etc... I seemed to have struggled with getting all designs in time. By the end of the project almost the entire concept has now a different direction and feel. I know it's part of the process to keep change your mind, always looking to improve. I also know I am a perfectionist so until I feel it's just right, I don't give up. But I would like to know how can I improve in order to be more time efficient.

Thank you kindly to all in advance. Looking forward for all of your suggestions and comments.

Regards,
Bianca Boie

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:06 am

As you build up a library you will become more efficient over time.

Return to Architecture Students Forum