Building Up?

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Building Up?

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm an aspiring architect/interior designer and I'm faced with a problem I was hoping someone could help me with.

When designing a house I always get carried away with simply making it look good. The interior, 9 times out of 10 has some major design problems. Someone gave me the advice of starting to build from the inside and up instead of starting on the outside. The problem is, when I do this, it's hard to keep the design of the outside together.

Should I continue designing from the outside and just try to fix the interior as I go along, or should I build from the inside and fix the outside afterwards?

Postby Checkpoint43 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:04 pm

Plan the inside first.
Form follows function.
Checkpoint43

Postby phansford » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:19 pm

In simple brief terms -

You're designing a three dimensional object, so you need to think three dimensionally.

So you should be designing both in plan and elevation. You are switching back and forth.

This is how design is taught in architecture schools.

You should also be sketching or building massing models or using Sketch-up to generate models to study the overall form and mass of the building.

Form Does Not Follow Function (This seemingly simple quote is misunderstood by most people). I can assure you I can put a kitchen in many forms and shapes, none being wrong or incorrect.
phansford
millennium club

Re: Building Up?

Postby dytecture » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Design ideas come from various directions, sometimes the site will influence the design (ie: start from exterior), while at times the interior spaces will be more important.

It's best to design from inside and outside simultaneously, and you should adjust the design as it evolves.
dytecture

Return to Architecture Students Forum