Theatre building - need criticism.

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Theatre building - need criticism.

Postby Extry » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:32 am

Hello! I'm the 5th year achitecture student from Russia. Lately I've almost finished my student project of the theatre building. The site is located in the center of Moscow surrounded by art nouveau buildings. I absolutely did’t want to make a huge monolyte building here but at the same time I had to support the street facades from both sides. So I decided use the image of a monastery with it’s wall and a yard.

I have one last chance to remake something in that project before the student competition. It looks somehow unfinished. I mean its exterior appearance. I don't mind conservative image but now it's just primitive and I can't tell why.

It would be great if somebody could give me some hints for how to make it look more like a theater.

Here is it: http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5314/2703800.6/0_5786f_10a2538d_orig

---
Veronika
Last edited by Extry on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Extry

Re: Theatre building - need criticism.

Postby seraphatar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:16 am

Veronika,

Your link doesn't work. I couldn't see your project. If you want to make your design look like a theatre, I would concentrate some of your efforts on the entrance, in making a porte cochere something wonderful and ornate. Most theatres have beautiful entries with which to entice audience members to patronize their establishments. S
seraphatar

Postby dytecture » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Hi Veronika,

The wall and courtyard is a great idea. Couple of comments I have.

-try to line up all the floor plans and at the same scale, right now it looks very confusing.
-show more exterior elevation, perhaps some views from the smaller street to make the building 'complete'.
-the courtyard space looks unfinished, what is going on with material? spatial relationships, is there a outdoor stage?
-Interior views, especially the courtyard and entry area. Readers might no be able to feel what the space is like coming in the building.
-Looks like you designed an interesting circulation but it's not clear on the plans.
dytecture

Postby SirRenders » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Can I ask what software did you use for your plan?
SirRenders

Return to Architecture Students Forum