"state of the art" indoor track proposal at UO sit

Eugene, Oregon, USA: A forum for Friends of Eugene and discussion of Eugene-related land use, transportation, livability, environment, economic justice, and environmental quality issues.

"state of the art" indoor track proposal at UO sit

Postby Zachary Vishanoff » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:16 pm

Today the Oregon Daily Emerald has a front page article on the latest proposal. As part of the Olympic trials related construction this facility was included in the masterplan for the long term "vision" by Nikes primary architect TVA(Robert Thompson). A likely site would be the current spot now occupied by Mac Court. There is also a possibility that UO will be approved to expand the campus "footprint" with eminent domain to build the facility somewhere near 19th and Onyx. My Youtube channel has some of the details about this proposal. The funding source(from 30-40 million) is not yet disclosed. To find my Youtube channel use the search at the Youtube website with my name. The indoor track proposal was also described in last Saturdays Register Gaurd in the sports section.
Zachary Vishanoff

Postby Mr. Eugenified » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:51 pm

I was just watching the USA Indoor Track & Field championships (held in Boston) on TV a few days ago and was wondering why Eugene doesn't try to host this event. Then I realized that we do not have a decent indoor track here. So I think it's a good idea to build one.

At present, the whole "Track Town USA" thing is a cute little slogan but not taken all that seriously. If we were to really focus on this, and build upon it further (such as adding an indoor track), I really think this could be a big boost for the local economy and the "positioning" of the city of Eugene in general.

I would also like to see a lot more track events hosted at Hayward stadium. That place should have something going on every weekend at least. As it is now, it really is underutilized.

Mr. Eugenified at eugenified.com
Mr. Eugenified

Return to Friends of Eugene Forum