Discuss building construction, tools and equipment, management, and logistics. Examples and "war stories" appreciated!


Postby slim91801 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:27 pm

I wanted to add something like the piece hanging over the counter with the lights on it in the picture in my coffee shop. Do you know if this is something i have to custom build. Or it can be purchased somewhere as a fixture. What is the proper term for that piece so i can get more information on it. If it can be purchased where can i get it at. If not the exact same one something similar. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks. ... 2/sizes/l/
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:19 pm

Postby workcoz » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:59 pm

You can purchase something like it. USG (United States Gypsum) makes a system that you could undoubtedly use. Check out their website -, click on ceilings systems and then take a tour to see what might work.

Home > Products > Product Gallery > Acoustical Ceilings Gallery

You could, of course, always custom fabricate it as well.
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:52 pm

Postby Kevin » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:07 pm

Good point!

Which reminds me, ArchWeek did an article on those products...

New Curve in System Ceilings, by Graeme D. Gee ... g_1-1.html
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 1886
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: Eugene, Oregon

Postby nanrehvasconez » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:53 pm

The technical name is "ceiling soffit", is always custom build with components available from drywall suppliers. One component for doityourselfers is flexatrak visit

Soffit (from French soffite, Italian soffitto, formed as a ceiling; directly from suffictus for suffixus, Latin suffigere, to fix underneath), in architecture, describes the underside of any construction element. Examples of soffits include:

the underside of an arch or architrave (whether supported by piers or columns),
the underside of a flight of stairs, under the classical entablature,
the underside of a projecting cornice, or
the underside of a ceiling to fill the space above the kitchen cabinets, at the corner of the ceiling and wall.
In popular use, soffit most often refers to the material forming a ceiling from the top of an exterior house wall to the outer edge of the roof, i.e., bridging the gap between a home's siding and the roofline, otherwise known as the eaves.

Soffit exposure profile (from wall to fascia) on a buildings' exterior can vary from a few centimetres (2-3 inches) to well beyond a meter (3 feet) depending on construction. It can be non-ventilated or ventilated for cooling non livable attic space.
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:20 pm

Construction Forum

Postby EnergyRecruitm » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:05 pm

How do you stay in the business of delivering high quality design in a world shaped by demand for greener homes, baby-boomer interest in downsizing, population growth and a tight real estate market? Learn why “less is more” is more relevant today than ever. By looking at alternative design solutions and the application of new technologies this forum will show you that size matters and that a simple act of restraint can address multiple problems through elegant design.
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:35 pm
Location: pakistan

coffee shop canopy

Postby barryhunter » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:33 pm

The problem with a solid canopy is that if the shop has fire sprinklers they may need to be extended through the canopy (as was done with the canopy in your photo). The area below the canopy would be unprotected if they are not. You also need to wire and put lights in a solid canopy. These items can get costly since it sounds like you are doing a retrofit to an existing space.
You might consider an open canopy, something to give the impression of a covering without being a solid cover, more of a heavy beam lattice work( ). If made in GFRG there would not be a requirement to extend the sprinklers or lights and you may get the covered look and save some time, trouble and expense. Whatever you decide, if you are still looking for a canopy try Stromberg GFRG (glass fiber reinforced gypsum) They produce the arched canopies for coffee shops.
If you go with a solid canopy you could use GFRG or drywall. If you want to go drywall then see the USG website
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:09 am

Return to Construction Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


User Control Panel


Who is online

In this forum zone there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 593 on Sat May 26, 2018 5:18 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
DesignCommunity   ·   ArchitectureWeek   ·   Great Buildings   ·   Archiplanet   ·   Books   ·   Blogs   ·   Search
Special thanks to our sustaining subscribers Building Design UK, Building Design News UK, and Building Design Tenders UK.