OpenClip

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Re: OpenClip

Postby Rob C » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Sorry, I haven't been on in months. Cool. Wonder where you're at with this, so I'll email you.
Rob C

Postby Alfred Scott » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:35 am

I talked to FormZ yesterday. OpenClip thing is still on the list of things to do but other projects just grew and grew as things tend to do... Be patient, it will happen, but never as soon as you’d like. Welcome to life.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:24 pm

I don’t have much to report yet except that I have made some progress on the PowerCADD/SketchUp side but it’s been difficult and slow.

First step is to copy in PowerCADD and then save that in SketchUp, which I had working at some point but there are always issues of getting things scaled right.

Also it handles dropping a SketchUp file into the program window and then being able to paste back into PowerCADD.

The programming examples in the SketchUp and LayOut SDKs are pretty straightforward and I want to have the same sort of interchange with PowerCADD/LayOut.

I much prefer working in the familiar world of creating tools in PowerCADD. Matt Arnold is cranking out some spectacular stuff for the Tree Elevation tool. Be prepared to have a blown mind. He’s creating objects like nothing you’ve ever seen in PowerCADD.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:52 pm

Good news! But sorry the the OpenClip work has been so difficult.

As perhaps I've mentioned before, I've been using pdfs from LayOut as references in PowerCADD and it works pretty well. But to have PowerCADD reference the LayOut pages directly would be the ultimate.

LayOut is really good at creating formatted output from SketchUp, especially scaled projections; but given the tools we have in PowerCADD for text, drafting, and graphics, it's hard to want to actually draw or add notes in LayOut itself.
pbacot
millennium club

Postby Rob C » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Glad to hear you've given it a shot! I haven't done much with Layout until recently.

I attended 3D Basecamp in September, which was great, BTW! I met a lot of people face to face from SketchUp Team members, authors and 3rd party developers, to SketchUp "Sages" from all over the world that I'd only known as avatars on their bulletin board. While there, I forced myself to dive into Layout and have used it more lately. First impression is that it's sluggish (compared to PC), which is the #1 complaint about the program. I recently tried DWG out from Layout to PC, and it could be more useful if PC's DWG translator supported bitmap images. Getting what they call a "hybrid" view of the model, which is vectored linework on top of a no-line, raster image is the ultimate goal. I've done this by hand from SU to PC for years, but streamlining the process would help. The hot link is the ideal, but I mention the DWG pathway in case that might be easier to implement right now.
Rob C

Postby Charles Freeborn » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:59 pm

I am still waiting on an efficient way to go from Form Z model to PCadd.
Whether it's open clip or simply a workflow that will deliver consistent results I really don't care. When I export to DWG and then attempt an import into P.Cadd the scaling is off in the weeds. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to hunt and peck guessing at how to scale the drawing into something reasonably close to reality. Very disappointed. For PCadd to survive this has to improve. The days of being able to present plan and elevation to a client are long gone. It requires 3-d renderings with proper surface textures, lighting and other imagery. Designing in modeling software and then having to start over to create working drawings is simply foolish.
Charles Freeborn

Previous

Return to PowerCADD Discussion