Documentation

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Documentation

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:36 pm

For anyone who is interested in this, I am working on modernizing and updating the PowerCADD documentation and tutorial. I always like to work in the open and to get as much feedback, comments and suggestions as possible.

You can get to the documents two ways. Go to the PowerCADD Help menu, WildTools Web Page, then scroll down to the bottom and click on Documentation. You'll find the PowerCADD documents at the top.

Or you can just go direct to

http://www.seqair.com/WildTools/Documentation/Docs.html

These documents change often, sometimes each day when I'm working on them.

So far, I've made a lot of changes to the formatting to make them more readable and accessible. I know that the standard 'wisdom' in software companies is that users don't read documentation, but I think that's what people say when they have written documentation that people don't read, because it's poorly written, puts you to sleep, hard to navigate, etc. My experience is that all WildTools users read the documentation, and know how to quickly look up something, can find what they are looking for and so they use it when needed.

I'm getting pretty happy with the documentation now, and I'm working on making the PowerCADD tutorial, documentation and WildTools documentation into interactive pdf documents. The idea is that you will be able to jump into the manual to the right page from PowerCADD, WildTools or elsewhere with a single click, just like a link to a website, and once in the document, you will be able to jump around so instead of suggesting that you look up something in the manual, there will just be a link to click on that will take you to that page.

I'm working on installing buttons and links in the documentation now. This is a big job and it's largely new territory for me so you can expect to see plenty of rough edges.

These documents will eventually be on your machine automatically along with PowerCADD and WildTools, and they will work best when you use them on your Mac. There will be problems if you download them to your iPad, since the links between the documents will not work but the internal links should be fine.

At one point in the past, we talked about having an integrated help system going, so that you could mash on the Help key on your keyboard, and it would take you to the documentation to the page for the current tool.

Alfred

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Re: Documentation

Postby Paul H » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Wow, that's a lot of work. I'm looking forward to what to generate and it'll be greatly appreciated Alfred.
Paul H

Postby Alfred Scott » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:22 pm

I have reached a stopping point on the documentation and have just uploaded new files.

I do all my proofreading in Adobe Acrobat on the iPad because it’s easy to mark pages for changes, but generally I prefer the iBooks app for reading.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Eugene Silva » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi Alfred,
I have found an item in the documentation that might be updated...

In Sierra and I assume High Sierra, Apple now hides user library files amongst many others. Would it not be good to include how to show and hide the hidden files with the new key command (CMD-Shift-.(dot) new in Sierra (so no need to use Terminal)...

Without knowing this the instructions on page 223 (Global Attributes) is a bit confusing...
Eugene Silva

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Gene,

Okay, I’ve just uploaded all new files, including your suggestion.

I’m finding that the navigation buttons at the bottom of the documentation pages works flawlessly on a Mac, but not always as smoothly as I would like when downloaded on to an iPad. Seems to be pretty smooth when imported into iBooks app but a little rough when imported into Adobe Acrobat on the iPad.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:53 pm

I’ve just uploaded new documentation for the upcoming version of WildTools.

New additions are the Emoji tool, Dogbone Fillet tool, and finger technology for fillet and chamfer tools.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:13 am

Slightly related, but architects may be interested in my “Project Winkie” which you can find at

http://www.rosegill.com/ProjectWinkie/index.html

Working on these two books as well as our documentation is more like software development than writing a book in that there are navigation buttons and links.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Return to PowerCADD Discussion