OSX

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

OSX

Postby gybognarjr » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:33 am

Will there be an OS 10.3 version?
gybognarjr

Postby David Owen » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:05 pm

Thanks for asking about DesignWorkshop for MacOS X. Artifice continues to invest in the development of DesignWorkshop technology, and remains committed to cross-platform support for our products. Unfortuately, that's all I can say for now.

The latest version of DesignWorkshop for Macintosh (1.8.6) works very well in the Mac OS X Classic Environment. A small, update download is available for all levels of DesignWorkshop (Lite, Classic and Professional) if necessary. If you need to get an update, please contact <a href="mailto:support@artifice.com">Artifice Support</a>.
David Owen

Small Update?

Postby GaryV » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:21 am

A small, update download is available for all levels of DesignWorkshop (Lite, Classic and Professional) if necessary.

David, is this a new update and if so what does it do?

Gary
GaryV

Postby David Owen » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:55 pm

I was referring to the DesignWorkshop v1.8.6 update, which has been available for awhile.

You can confirm your version of DesignWorkshop for Mac by using the Finder's Get Info command on the DesignWorkshop application file.

DW 1.8.6 works with Mac OS 9.1 and newer (including the OS X Classic Environment) and provides significantly improved opening speeds for larger .dw files.

DesignWorkshop Lite users who need the update should contact <a href="mailto:support@artifice.com">Artifice Support</a>.

The updates for DW Classic and DW Professional are available for free to registered users through the <a href="http://www.artifice.com/entry.html">Confidential Owners Areas</a> of the Artifice web site.

Please note that these downloads contain only the DesignWorkshop application file. To update, just expand the download using StuffIt Expander. Then, remove your old DesignWorkshop application file (drag it to the Trash) and put the new one in its place.

Please also note that the memory allocation for this update is set to the default (10MB). You might need to increase these memory settings in order to work on your model files.
David Owen

Works in Classic? Nope, it freezes every time.

Postby Ramón » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:20 pm

David Owen wrote:I was referring to the DesignWorkshop v1.8.6 update, which has been available for awhile.

DW 1.8.6 works with Mac OS 9.1 and newer (including the OS X Classic Environment) and provides significantly improved opening speeds for larger .dw files.

I am sorry to tell you that v 1.8.6 does not work at all in Mac OS X Classic. This forum is next to dead with practically no replies to (and no interest in being responsive to) messages. A bit more consideration for clients is due here. I am very dissapointed.
Ramón

Postby David Owen » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:06 pm

I'm sorry to hear you've had difficulty using DesignWorkshop 1.8.6 in the Mac OS X 10.3 Classic Environment.

We've found that with the right configuration, DW 1.8.6 works very reliably in the 10.3 Classic Environment. If you're having difficulties, I can offer the following general suggestions.

<b>1. Be sure you're using the latest version of DesignWorkshop (v 1.8.6).</b>

DW 1.8.6 works well with Mac OS 9.1 and newer (including the OS X Classic Environment) and provides significantly improved opening speeds for larger .dw

DesignWorkshop Lite users who need the update should contact <a href="http://www.artifice.com/support/online_support.html">Artifice Support</a>. The updates for DW Classic and DW Professional are available for free to registered users through the <a href="http://www.artifice.com/entry.html">Confidential Owners Areas</a> of the Artifice web site.

<b>2. Make sure you have the latest updates of the Mac OS versions you own.</b>

Because Apple seems to have steadily improved Classic Environment support with each OS update, it's important to be sure you have the latest updates for both <a href="http://- abuse alert -.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75288">Mac OS 9</a> and for the <a href="http://www.apple.com/support/macosx/">Mac OS X</a> version you own.

<b>3. Be sure you haven't run into a known issue with DesignWorkshop that may come up regardless of the OS environment.</b>

If you continue to experience difficulties, even after updating DesignWorkshop and your operating systems, you may need to contact <a href="http://www.artifice.com/support/online_support.html">Artifice Support</a> for further assistance.

For example, the Mac OS X Classic Environment may not reliably pass along OS 9 system errors when a program unexpectedly quits. In this case, it may appear as though nothing's happening with DW after you try to open it.

And in fact, there may be a clue to your difficulty in such an error message.

If your Macintosh supports booting into OS 9, a good test would be to try running DW on your computer, in OS 9 directly. If DW won't run in OS 9, then the problem likely has nothing to do with the Classic Environment and may indicate an issue in your computer's Mac OS 9 configuration.

In any case, <a href="http://www.artifice.com/support/online_support.html">please let us know</a> how we can help!
David Owen

Postby Kafka » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:22 pm

The problem is nobody cares about OS9 (directly or under classic enviroment) anymore, It doesn`t come preinstalled in any new machine and it`s unneccesary to install, because all serious mac friendly software already come ready to use on OS X..

There are 10 macs in my office and nobody has classic or OS9 on their machines, (some uninstalled it and some others never installed it) I am the only one keeping it just to be able to work on some designworkshop old files...
And using the classic enviroment is a pain, its buggy, its unstable on Phanter 10.3.5, its a big memory and proccesor consumer and I am about to dump it...

Saying, this days (oct-2004), that DW is "Mac" friendly is kind of a lie...
Kafka

DesignWorkshop 1.8.6 runs on OSX.... 3 years later

Postby osx » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:40 pm

I looked around the net and found that DesignWorkshop seems to have an interesting following and lots of neat building. I was planning on ordering DesignWorkshop Pro, ModelPak2, Great Buildings and possibly some other home furnishing stuff. I had the credit card out and was about to order, but decided to test the download demo first. It was then that I noticed that the Mac application hasn't been updated since 2001 and only runs under classic.

I really would like to use / purchase your software. After three years have you had enough time to 'evaluate the timing' for an OSX native release? I can't afford to spend that much money on software that seems dead ended.

From Three years ago @ http://www.designcommunity.com/forum/6862.html :

Posted by Mike Wheeler on December 11, 2001 at 17:19:25:
...snip....
DesignWorkshop 1.8.6 runs in the Classic Environement of Mac OS X.

We are in the process of evaluating the timing for releasing a Mac OS X native version of DesignWorkshop.

Regards,

Mike Wheeler
support@artifice.com

[/b]
osx

Postby yossie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:49 pm

FLAME ON - From my point of view there will never be an OS X version. I have long since quit using this application (after spending much $s on it back in 2000) due to the fact that it doesn't run worth CR*P in classic under Tiger - for me anyway. I can't be bothered to remember how to use OS 9 just for this one piece of software. Get a grip, Artifice, you guys are ghouls, in the truest sense, trying to make a buck off a dead body. The program hasn't been updated in 4+ years and I get the strongest sense that the entire company is a single person attempting to make a living off the past. I designed my future home in this software, it WAS good for it's time, but it is SOOOOOO last century - last millennium even. If this post survives, and you read it, as a prospective customer, DON'T DO IT - you will be buying expired goods. I am the most patient person I know - and, yet, I have lost patience. Good bye, and good luck..
yossie

Postby gregorio » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:49 pm

"universal binaries" version maybe ?

:p
gregorio

Postby jeruist » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:53 am

Thanks for information.

Greece Information
jeruist

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion