Future of DW...

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Future of DW...

Postby ArchiVue » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:12 am

Hello, back here after a long time...!
While I read the precedent posts, mostly about OSX compatibilities (not to speak of the intel based new macs!), I cannot use and ask my students to use a classic environment. Though I still think and feel that there is a territory for DW in today's world...!

Most of my students use SketchUp because they feel it's an easy tool for the first sketches and design of an architectural project...
Still, it's a surface tool while DW was based on volumes ! And thus can be an engine for more sophisticated tools that can be useful on a quick research on sustainability topics (air, light, heat, etc...). The end use of Radiance is an extraordinary asset for light calculus !

I followed at first the Quesa project, hoping that it would add momentum to a new upheaval of DW (keeping it as simple and useful) and, of course, ending in a simple Linux interface in a true "open community" way as Kevin (did I say Mike ?) intended it to be in the beginning...!

I'm looking forward some good news, a schedule maybe, on how and when (if...) DW will become the core engine of an open source world about "real" useful modeling as a design and concept tool and not like most others as a drawing one...!

We might be quite a number, feeling a bit sad and lonely, looking in a dark alley and not being able to see some light, there at the end...

Jacques
ArchiVue

Postby GaryV » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:53 am

Jacques (Pochoy, or such, as I recall?),

Long time no see! Most of the regulars no longer post here. We are all patiently waiting and hoping for development of an OSX version. I too have had issues with the faces methodology and am really hoping Artifice does shine that light brighter and brighter as time goes on. There is a dim light at the end of the tunnel but want to be in full sunlight soon.

Good to hear from you.
Gary
GaryV

Postby phansford » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:49 am

1 year and 2 months later....... no change. There is no DesignWorkshop Next Generation. Even the Artifice website has not been updated. No emails or posting or changes to the Artifice website to encourage us to remain hopeful.

http://www.designcommunity.com/forums/topic-4790.html

I think we can all consider this a dead product. I hope Kevin's other ventures are doing well.
phansford
millennium club

Postby Luc Trudeau » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:36 pm

I hope DW is not a dead product because many of us are still using it. Personnaly, I use it almost everyday for my projects, architecture and furniture design.
I wonder how many DW users in the world?
Luc Trudeau

future

Postby roberto paredes » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:13 am

I still use it. Hoping that DW OSX will arrive. I also own sketch-up...
roberto paredes

Postby Steel Shade » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:25 pm

Artifice, Artifice, where for art thou Artifice?

I am still alive and kicking, still making periodic updates to Tips & Techniques for DesignWorkshop for all the DesignWorkshop hopefuls.
Steel Shade

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion