Background Grid won't display

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Background Grid won't display

Postby drDave » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:15 pm

Background Grids will not display.
Also, in the Object Info window - and in the coords boxes at bottom of screen - there are no labels. However, the data (numbers) do show.

Things I've tried:
In DWLite, toggle grid off/on.
Change Grid settings.
Zoom in/out.
Load known-good drawing that worked at one time.
Opened several Files thinking maybe the settings were saved with the file.
Color setting (at Desktop Properties) from 16 bit to 32 bit, then back.
Desktop set-ups for Window and Program colors, etc.

Help, please?
drDave

Postby David Owen » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:44 pm

That's definitely not normal behavior for DesignWorkshop.

Third-party utilities that change the look and feel of Windows can sometimes contribute to this kind of behavior. I'd suggest that you first try booting your computer into Safe Mode, which should temporarily disable anything of that kind. If DesignWorkshop runs fine in Safe Mode, then look for a third-party utility (or control panel) - likely something you installed intentionally - that changes how Windows looks or works and temporarily disable that.

If no such utility exists, or disabling it doesn't work, the next step would be to try reinstalling DesignWorkshop. And if you continue to have difficulty, please contact Artifice Support directly for help!

support@artifice.com
David Owen

Postby drDave » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:41 pm

I finally got the chance to test your feedback idea. Booting in Safe Mode did not change anything.

I had already reinstalled twice: once with the downloaded file from some time ago, then again with a new (freshly downloaded) copy.

Are there other ideas I might try?

Thanks for the help!
Dave
drDave

Postby drDave » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:47 pm

What Video settings might affect the display of Background Grids? Maybe through Games, something has changed. . . .

I suppose I could simply play with the settings, one by one; but I thought you might have specific ideas.

Dave
drDave

Postby David Owen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:53 pm

Sorry to hear you're still having difficulty!

Your screen's settings might affect the visibility of the Background Grid lines, which show up as a very light gray. Try adjusting the contrast and brightness settings, using your montor's built-in controls. I'd suggest increasing contrast and decreasing brightness.

Please let us know if you continue to have difficulty seeing the background grid or anytime you have other questions.
David Owen

Postby drDave » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:51 am

Mr. Owen!

Thank you for the suggestion about the Monitor settings! You kind of verified my own suspicion. And that was the answer!
Brightness was at about 50%, and Contrast was at 100%. These settings, it turns out, made a particular exploration game (such as Myst, Riven, Crystal Key - whichever it was) work best and we had not restored the settings for quite some time.
Brightness has minimal effect on visibility of the Background Grids; however, Contrast has a MAJOR effect.
I settled for around 45% Contrast, but 40 to 50% appears acceptable on this system.
I left Brightness where it was.

Thanks very much for the help here!

Dave
drDave

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion