DXF import

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

DXF import

Postby Chod » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:03 pm

I just created a model in Canoma of a barn and then exported it as a dxf file. I wasn't able to import it directly into DW lite. Instead I imported it into Vectorworks 10 and then exported it as a dxf file from there.
DW did import it then, but the model is so small I can't zoom in far enough to see it.

Any suggestions about what I need to change in the Vectorworks export? I changed the Layer Scale to 1:1 but that didn't help.

Hope you can help me.

Chod
Chod

Postby Mike Wheeler » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:57 pm

You can scale the imported DXF in DesignWorkshop. To do so first use the Edit menu, Select All command, followed by the Arrange menu, Group command. This groups the entire model so it will all scale together. Finally use the Edit menu, Scale command. The most common amount to scale by for misscaled models is 1200% (inches to feet). You can try that, or figure out how much to scale by based on the overall size of the group and what the overall size should be.

Best wishes,

Mike Wheeler
Mike Wheeler

DXF import

Postby Chod » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:46 am

Thanks Mike, It worked great. Just as you said.
Next question. Is there some way of changing the orientation? North/
South?

Chod
Chod

Postby David Owen » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:21 pm

You can reverse the orientation of all the imported objects in a couple ways.

First, you can use the <a href="http://artifice.com/support/user_guide/documents/tools_ref/dw_tool.editing.html">Rotate Tool</a>. With the objects still grouped (as Mike described) and selected, click the Rotate Tool on the tool palette. Then, just click and drag anywhere in the model window to begin rotating. If you hold down the Shift key while rotating, you'll be able to constrain the Rotate Tool to 45-degree increments, making it easy to rotate exactly 180 degrees (or any multiple of 45). Using the Rotate Tool as described above, the group will rotate about its center.

Or you can rotate the group using the <a href="http://artifice.com/support/user_guide/documents/tools_ref/dw_wind.object_info.html">Object Info</a> windoid. With the group selected, just type 180 (or any angle) in the Angle field. Then hit Enter or Return. Using this method, the group will rotate about its reference point.
David Owen

Change directions...not objects.

Postby Jeff Morgan » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:15 pm

Is there a way to change the actual direction in DW? I sometimes wish that South was North or some other direction based on the actual direction in a project. However, because I don't know if you can change that, almost always model the architecture with the Front pointing South.

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Morgan

Postby David Owen » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:01 am

Jeff,

Is there a particular need behind your question?

For example, if it's about having quick access to a particular view of your model, you can save any view using the <b>View -> Set View</b> menu command. And the first 8 views you save even get their own keyboard shortcut, automatically!

To quickly jump to any one of these 8 views (after you've set the view), on Windows, press the <b>Control</b> key and then any number 2-9. <b>Control + 0</b> is reserved for the "Overview" view in a .dw file. <b>Control + 1</b> is reserved for the "Initial View" in a Lights & Textures window. On Macintosh, it's the same idea, except with the Command key, rather than Control.

Also, you can effectively reverse south and north by entering a negative number in the latitude field in the <b>Arrange -> Sun & Shading Settings...</b> dialog box. Although this feature is really intended to simulate sunlight behavior in the Southern Hemisphere, it does make the sun shine from the opposite direction.

Or if you need to rotate your model to a specific project orientation, you can use the Object Info box, as I described above. Just enter any angle in decimal degrees. Generally, I'd suggest rotating the model for viewing, once it's been built. Though, the Arbitrary Working Orientation does make it easy to do most things with a model rotated to any angle or pitch.

If you have some other issue in mind, please feel free to contact <a href="mailto:support@artifice.com">Artifice Support</a>, any time.
David Owen

What is in a direction?

Postby Jeff Morgan » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:05 am

David,

Hey there. When you spend all day plugging away at a DW model, it seems that your brain and your mechanical habits develop into a Front, Left, Right, and Rear mentality. That may be an overstatement, however, the Cntrl + Arrows are ingrained in me and I choose the view I need without thinking about. To be quite honest (as Tom Cruise said in Top Gun) "You don't have time to think." So, in as much, my set up priority is first given to what I will be considering Front, Left, etc. The front I always set to South, even if it is not south. I can then change the positioning of the model to face Southern if I am going to actually use DW to render it out (hardly ever). It would be nice, however, if I could spin a compass to match an actual direction that I want to match the Front (better known as Cntrl+Up Arrow) with. I could then do some quick lighting and rendering test without worry about re-positioning the model. Thanks for the ear.

See ya,

Jeff
Jeff Morgan

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion