getting 3d objects into my drawing

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

getting 3d objects into my drawing

Postby keithfdean » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:31 pm

Hi
I'm new to Design Workshop
I've just created my first building, but can't work out how to get 3d objects from the library into my drawing
Help anyone?
Many thanks
Keith
keithfdean

Postby Jeff Morgan » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:16 pm

Hey Keith,

Open up the item from the library; selected it; copy; open up the DW file that you want to place it in; paste; move it to where you want it to be.

Hope that helps.

See ya,

Jeff
Jeff Morgan

I can't paste the object

Postby keithfdean » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:23 pm

Hi Jeff, thanks for that
I have the object in the clipboard, but in Design Workshop the Paste option is greyed out. I can't paste it !! The only option available in the Edit menu is show clipboard, and the object I want is in there, but I can't paste it.
How can this be? My browser is running in OS X on my flatscreen iMac, I have DW running in Classic.
Any ideas?
Keith
keithfdean

Postby Mike Wheeler » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:26 pm

Where are you copying the object from?

You need to open a library object model in DesignWorkshop, use the Arrow Tool to select the object you want, copy, and then paste it into your own model.

Also you need to copy it from the same instance of the DesignWorkshop program and paste it while that instance of DesignWorkshop is still running. This is much more of an issue on Windows where you can easily open the same program several times simultaneously. I think for this to happen on a Mac you would need more than one copy of DesignWorkshop installed and then you would need to open each separately.

Please let us know if you continue to have difficulty.

Best wishes,

Mike Wheeler
support@artifice.com
Mike Wheeler

Postby keithfdean » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:39 am

Hi Mike
Thanks for your reply
I have a flat screen iMac Powermac G4 running OSX 10.3.5
I run everything in OSX except Design Workshop which is in my Classic OS9 directory.
I use a browser (either Explorer for Mac or Apple Safari) in OSX to access the Artifice online 3d objects library. I copy the object to the clipboard from the browser OK. (I can of course save the object as an HTML or gif file).
Once the object is in my clipboard, I close the browser open Design Workshop in the Classic environment. I open a drawing. In the Edit menu the only option not greyed out is 'show clipboard'. This shows the required object is in the clipboard, but it doesn't copy using Crtl-V, and of course the 'Paste' option is greyed out.
The only other app in the Classic folder is AppleWorks(which I don't normally use). As a test I opened the Appleworks WP program and the Paste worked - the objects in the Clipboard pasted correctly.
Is there a workaround? Can you suggest anything?
Many thanks
Keith
keithfdean

Postby Jeff Morgan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:14 am

Keith,

Forget copying from the browser.

Here ya go:

OPEN DesignWorkshop; open the file of the library item; select the item you want to copy; copy it; close the library item file; open the file you want to paste the library item into; paste the item; move it and/or size it as you desire.

See ya,

Jeff
Jeff Morgan

Postby keithfdean » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:42 am

Thanks Jeff
I appreciate your help, but I think I am having trouble in expressing my problem clearly.
I downloaded DW Lite, so have a file in my Classic folder called '3d library samples'. I have no problem at all in copy/pasting these into my DW drawing.
I can also access the online '3d objects library' through my OSX browser, but it is these I can't copy/paste. Well, I can copy them into the clipboard (but can't paste them), or I can save them as gif or html files. I don't know how to move the online library objects to my local file of 3d sample objects.
Perhaps of I bought Design Workshop on CD I would have all the objects on CD, then I wouldn't have a problem
Again, many thanks
Keith
keithfdean

Postby Mike Wheeler » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:16 pm

I think the online 3D objects library you are referring to is just images of the library objects that are included with DesignWorkshop Classic and Professional. Not the library objects themselves.

There is a library exchange on the Artifice web site where you can download library models.

http://www.artifice.com/libs/lib_exchange.html

Please let us know whenever you have further questions.

Best wishes,

Mike Wheeler
support@artifice.com
Mike Wheeler

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion