Help with Dimensions and BOMs

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Help with Dimensions and BOMs

Postby cbennett_us » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:18 am

I'm new to Design Workshop, and I use it for designing projects I build from wood. I have two issues with Design Workshop that I'm hoping you can help with.

First, does the package support adding dimensions. I simply want to display the distance between the edges of two different objects. And, I'd like the dimensions to appear when I print.

Secondly, does the package support the creation of a Bill of Materials (BOM)? When I've completed a project, I would like to generate a report of all the components that I'll need to build.

Thanks for your time.

-Curt
cbennett_us

Postby David Owen » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:41 pm

Because DesignWorkshop is a 3D design and visualization program, its tools and interface are honed for maximum efficiency in 3D.

So, although DesignWorkshop models contain highly accurate dimensional information for each object, it does not include tools you'd expect to find in a conventional 2D drafting program, such as dimensioning and annotation tools.

But with support for industry standard CAD formats, DesignWorkshop integrates easily with virtually any 2D drafting program. You can export your DesignWorkshop model as 2D drawings for refinement with the drafting program of your choice!

If you don't already have a preferred 2D drafting program, a couple good options are available through our CADOutpost internet store:

<a href="http://www.CADOutpost.com/">http://www.CADOutpost.com/</a>
David Owen

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion