DW - files from pc to mac

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

DW - files from pc to mac

Postby needhelp » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:14 pm

I have a pc at work and a mac at home and I'm unable to open the files I have created with Design Workshop Lite using my work pc on my mac at home. If I try to open the file from the desktop, Design Worshop Lite starts up then immediately closes. If I try to open the files from within Design Workshop it just can't see the files.

I am guessing there is some file convension problem between macs and pcs but how do I fix it so I can view files in both places.

(I used email to transfer the files!)

Cheers
needhelp

Postby GaryV » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:05 am

You can try the tune-up machine which diagnoses problem files...it is here: http://www.artifice.com/machines/tuneup.html

Also sending by email can be problematic if you did not compress the file. You should always zip it so the (essentially text) format is retained.

Gary
GaryV

Postby Mike Wheeler » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:25 pm

The problem most likely has to do with file types.

Windows uses a 2 or 3 character file extensions to determine the type of file. Mac OS uses a file type and creator code resource to know the kind of file and which application should open the file.

In this case when you bring the file over from Windows it probably has a file type of "????". DesignWorkshop on Mac will only recognize files as possibly being DesignWorkshop models if the file type is set to "TEXT".

The easiest way to change the file type is to add ".txt" to the end of the file name once it is on the Mac. This will automatically change the file type to "TEXT". Once that is done you can change the extension back to .dw or eliminate it altogether (or even leave it as .txt). At this point you will be able to open the model by dragging-and-dropping it on the DW icon, or using the File menu, Open command from with DesignWorkshop.

You can make your Mac recognize it as a file belonging to DesignWorkshop (so double-clicking it will open DW) using a program that can change creator codes and file types, such as ResEdit or FileTyper. If you are going this route, you should set the creator code to "DOCC" and the file type to "TEXT".

Best wishes,

Mike Wheeler
support@artifice.com
Mike Wheeler

Yes moving from mac to PC req proper extensions

Postby Rick65000 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:22 pm

I've never had a problem using items I've created at my day job on my home mac. (Currently using a powerbook 1.25Ghz G4)

But proper extensions are required.
Rick65000

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion