Tiger

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Tiger

Postby Oscar Peterson » Sun May 01, 2005 8:11 am

I really dont know why do i care (well maybe i do, i used to love this app), maybe thats why I still check this forums and i still sometimes post a note (which I always feel its not wellcome and somehow makes me feel guilty)..

Well thats it, there goes, 10, there goes jaguar, panther... tiger... and artifice still says we should use classic!!!

This was last chance.
Good luck with you soft.

Im out
Oscar Peterson

Postby Kevin » Mon May 02, 2005 1:02 am

Oscar, thank you for keeping in touch and expressing your perspective on the extended delays in upgrading DesignWorkshop on Macintosh.

We fully understand your need to use the most appropriate software tools available for your 3D design and visualization challenges, in the past, present and the future. That's all we ask.

Thank you for working with us in the past. You may find it fruitful again in the future.
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby phansford » Mon May 02, 2005 2:38 pm

Kevin - enough is enough already. It has been years.... years. We all have supported your product, but well..... time is close to being up for many of us.

I don't know about anyone else, but DW is the ONLY program I have that is still in Classic. It has been that way since Jaguar.

Personally - I want to upgrade my 3D package to MAC OS X this year. I have waited and been patient for you to get there. I am starting to research new programs that are based in MAC OS X. I am sorry.

Think about it this way.... If I had put my clients off as long as you have many of us, my firm would be out of business.

I have assumed that you are still teaching at UofO and have let that be n reason or an excuse for the long delay.

I am not angry, just really sad. :(
phansford
millennium club

Postby GaryV » Mon May 02, 2005 11:29 pm

Did you see Kevin's posting<a href="http://www.designcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4006"><b> here</b></a>? I am as frustrated as the next guy and have hounded Kevin incessantly as he will attest. But to his credit he did briefly comment on his unfortunate situation a while back.

It has been many, many years and has become frustrating, I agree. But, no he is NOT teaching anymore and he alluded to at least some of the problems relating to the delay in the link above.

Patience is difficult I will admit. I have much of the same issues. If anyone will get there Kevin will. And if he doesn't or can't I hope we are the first to know. But I also know he is a man of principle and devotion to doing things his way and in his timeframe. He acknowledged the frustration of working in Classic and that it was not ideal (although DW seems to work acceptably in Classic).

All the complaining in the world on our part will not get it done any faster, I assure you.
GaryV

Postby Kevin » Tue May 03, 2005 12:16 am

Thanks for helping with the background, Gary!

I know it may sound strange, but we aren't asking for patience. We aren't asking for support (though of course we really appreciate it!). We want you to do just what you need to do, in the real world.

DesignWorkshop is not a political campaign. It is not a moral issue (unless you choose it to be, freely and of your own accord!).

DesignWorkshop is a tool. Use it when it makes sense for you.

I also understand how frustrating it can be to have the vision of a better tool in mind, clear and shinning - like DesignWorkshop Next Generation, running on the latest coolest Mac OS - without being able to put your hands on it. If you're frustrated about not having a better tool - as we are - we do appreciate hearing that to.
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby GaryV » Tue May 03, 2005 1:30 am

As I already said, a man of principle. :!:
GaryV

Postby phansford » Tue May 03, 2005 7:41 am

[quote="GaryV"]Did you see Kevin's posting<a href="http://www.designcommunity.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4006"><b> here</b></a>? [/quote]

Thanks for the link. But Gary no one is disputing Kevin's moral/ethical/principal standings. Relax.

Posts like mine and Oscar's demonstrate that the lack of information and visable development have hurt "support". There is little or no traffic on this forum. It is dam(n) easy to miss a post like Kevin's. I did and I try to take a peek on occasion.

Kevin - I am looking forward to Designworkshop Next Generation (even if it has undertones of Star Trek :lol: ). I hope it hits the market soon so that I can evaluate it. Like I said - I want to upgrade my 3D package and of course - its much easiler sticking with the familiar.

I glad whatever nastiness is behind you and that we will all see a renewed Artifice. You have some serious ground to make-up. May I recommend an email out to your customers or something as to state your new and exciting future. Build some anticipation.

Update the artifice website. Let me tell you - its static presentation was an indicator to me that all was not well in Eugene. Real or perceived, I had come to the concludion that Artifice was done. I am VERY glad that is not the case and look forward to see some exciting stuff.
phansford
millennium club

Like I said

Postby Rick65000 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:26 pm

I bought the cross platform version of classic in 1999. Its great, but serously its time to realease the code to open source and thereby access the resources that will be availble after the user commuinty is working on the project.

I'm sure that DW is pulling in newbie dollars all the time, but if you seriously look at involving the open source community I estimate that money will be made. You can't raise a barn without help i.e. investors, intellectual and monetary.

I've been using classic since 1999 and I've written a business plan partially based on the skills learned using DW Classic. I'm starting my MBA this fall (yea me) and I will probably always use DW Classic, but I won't be spending over $400.00 on a software that can be out classed with a software the cost just a few hundred more.

I'm expecting to purchase another 3D modeling software next year, but it won't be a software that's stopped dead. I think it is open source time. Open source works and can still produce income. The user commuinty wants to help. (see what happened with Falcon 4.0, http://homepage.mac.com/macf4/)

Make DW legendary, not just a foot note.
Rick65000

Like I said

Postby Rick65000 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:28 pm

I bought the cross platform version of classic in 1999. Its great, but serously its time to realease the code to open source and thereby access the resources that will be availble after the user commuinty is working on the project.

I'm sure that DW is pulling in newbie dollars all the time, but if you seriously look at involving the open source community I estimate that money will be made. You can't raise a barn without help i.e. investors, intellectual and monetary.

I've been using classic since 1999 and I've written a business plan partially based on the skills learned using DW Classic. I'm starting my MBA this fall (yea me) and I will probably always use DW Classic, but I won't be spending over $400.00 on a software that can be out classed with a software the cost just a few hundred more.

I'm expecting to purchase another 3D modeling software next year, but it won't be a software that's stopped dead. I think it is open source time. Open source works and can still produce income. The user commuinty wants to help. (see what happened with Falcon 4.0.

Rick65000

Like I said

Postby Rick65000 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:30 pm

I'm expecting to purchase another 3D modeling software next year, but it won't be a software that's stopped dead. I think it is open source time. Open source works and can still produce income. The user commuinty wants to help. (see what happened with Falcon 4.0.

FYI: to edit your post in this forum use your back button and hit submit again.
Rick65000

Like I said

Postby Rick65000 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:33 pm

Falcon 4.0

No I guess it just produces a new post each time.
Rick65000

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion