Tips & Techniques for Design Workshop

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Tips & Techniques for Design Workshop

Postby Steel Shade » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:11 am

Newest version (August 31, 2006) of Tips & Techniques available at http://geocities.com/solvolition/

The Help files included in DW only cover the basics of how a certain tool or command works in most cases. In TTDW (link above) I have compiled a list of all the tips, techniques, and generally ways of doing things faster or better, that I have discovered about using the tools and commands to achieve certain effects not mentioned in the help file. I think you will find the site informative and easy to use.

I've used Design Workshop Lite and Classic 1.8 for 5 years, so I have no tips for DW Pro-only capabilities, however I invite the Design Workshop community to contribute their own tips not listed here into this thread as a way to compile DW techniques into one location for beginners and advanced users alike. I will periodically post updates of TTDW at the above link. Please let me know what you think!

Consider this thread a labor of love for a truly elegant 3D modeler, Design Workshop.
Last edited by Steel Shade on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:21 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Steel Shade

Update to Tips and Techniques *attached*

Postby Steel Shade » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:21 pm

I'm glad that some of you have already downloaded TTDW. I hope you find that it lives up to your expectations. Please post any contributions, requests and corrections to this thread and I'll get to work on it.

And of course I will be sure to include your screen name as credit in each entry contributed.
Last edited by Steel Shade on Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Shade

Postby Steel Shade » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:28 pm

I should have sumarized my updates in the previous post; here is a list of changes made in new version:

Sept. 8, 2005:
-Numerous minor corrections for clarity, grammar, and spelling.
-Added an entry for the Duplicate command.
-Added an entry for the Line Tool, How to measure the distance between any two points in space.
-Added How to make a perfect polygonal Opening in the Opening Tools entry.
-Added an entry for the Rectangle tool, How to create an evenly spaced number of objects within a given distance
-Modified the Trim tool entry to include How to make a perfect cardinal (north-south or east-west) section or plan cut through an entire model.
Steel Shade

Postby Steel Shade » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:31 pm

One more post today :wink:

For those of you who haven't downloaded it yet and aren't sure, here is a look at the How To index. If you see something that peaks your interest, give it a shot, you won't regret it:

“How To…” Index
pg. 2 How to work around object save limits in DW Lite and Classic
pg. 3 How to create a polygon according to the length of one side
pg. 3 How to rotate an object around any axis
pg. 3 How to model a flight of stairs with equally sized risers
pg. 4 How to model spiral stairs
pg. 4 How to easily make a cone or pyramid (or truncated or splayed object)
pg. 5 How to build objects on the face of another object
pg. 5 How to measure the distance between any two points in space
pg. 6 How to line up an object onto the Snap Grid
pg. 6 How to quickly rotate an object 90°
pg. 6 How to make a perfect polygonal Opening
pg. 7 How to reduce the number of objects without sacrificing your model
pg. 7 How to imitate a 2D Boolean union
pg. 7 How to create an evenly spaced number of objects within a given distance
pg. 8 How to snap two objects together, handle to handle
pg. 9 How to make a perfect cardinal (north-south or east-west) section
or plan cut through an entire model
pg. 9 How to Trim an irregular object(s) along the Snap Grid
pg. 9 How to easily zoom in on any part of your model
pg. 10 How to easily understand and use the Eye and Look Tools
pg. 10 How to have different materials on each side of an object (a wall, for example)
Steel Shade

Postby Steel Shade » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:35 am

By the end of the week I will be posting an expanded Tips & Techniques (under 1 meg) that includes helpful illustrations to go along with the more involved entries. Also included will be an explanation of how to use the Background and Sun & Shading Settings to easily produce a picture of your model on site in the real world.

Watch this thread!
Steel Shade

Update to Tips & Techniques, Sept. 16, 2005

Postby Steel Shade » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:05 am

Here is the latest update of Tips & Techniques ready for download! For some reason, I am not able to just simply update the download in my first post, so I have to resort to uploading the newer versions in new postings. Can anyone tell me what to do about that?

In this release I have included illustration for many entries and added an exciting entry on the Sun & Shading Settings, which includes a new "How To" about making your model appear to be on site in the real world, a feature many users probably do not know of

Here is a list of updated features for this release:

Sept. 16, 2005:
· Some minor corrections for clarity, grammar, and spelling.
· Added more internal references to related entries and topics.
· Added an entry for Sun & Shading Settings, which includes “How to make a picture of your model on site in the real world”.
· Added another step to the “How to make a perfect polygonal Opening” entry to include modeling a countersink.
· Added illustrations to several entries.
· Added keyboard shortcuts in the entry titles wherever possible.
· Updated page numbers in “How To” index.
· Added “How to use the Design Workshop Online Machines”
Steel Shade

Postby Steel Shade » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:09 am

Hmmm... okay it didn't attach. Let's try again... OOPS, it is bigger than 1 meg, the largest attachment size. Must be those illustrations. I will fix this and post the update tomorrow. Sorry.
Steel Shade

Here it is...

Postby Steel Shade » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:02 am

Newest version of Tips & Techniques at http://geocities.com/solvolition/
Last edited by Steel Shade on Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Shade

Thank you for downloading my project

Postby Steel Shade » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:00 pm

Thank you all, I am truly humbled by the number of downloads made of my effort here. I hope it is everything you expected. Any comments, criticism, ideas, suggestions and especially contributions are very welcome.

By the way, please download the newest version at the bottom of this thread. For what ever reason (maybe because I am a new member of the forum?) I am not allowed to delete or update my old posts, so please download the latest version at the bottom most of this thread.

Again, thanks for giving Tips & Techniques for DesignWorkshop your consideration! (180 downloads in a few weeks!)
Steel Shade

Postby Luc Trudeau » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:59 pm

Thank you for your kindness towards us taking your time to teach what you learned by yourself through many years of practicing.
One thing I could add, (did you mention it? or maybe it is obvious to the great majority of the users?), is to place the central axis of the model in the center of the grid. In this way, the use of the eye tool becomes very easy to turn around the model.
Luc Trudeau

My first responder!

Postby Steel Shade » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:24 pm

You're welcome, Luc.

And you're right about building in the center of the grid, I think I missed that. I have made a note to add that in the next release with your screen name next to it for credit, as I said I would.

This whole effort came about because I think Artifice deserves a whole lot more recognition for DesignWorkshop then they get, even now. It is my hope that this little contribution of mine (and fellow contributors!) can help in some way to lift DesignWorkshop while it is going through a lengthy development process.

I'm glad you find it useful, and please, everyone, don't hesitate to post here with suggestions, improvements, criticisms, and the like. I want this to be the most useful all-in-one resource available for DesignWorkshop.
Steel Shade

Postby Steel Shade » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:04 pm

Newest version of Tips & Techniques available at http://geocities.com/solvolition/

Thank you all for showing me that DesignWorkshop is still alive. (over 400 downloads so far!)
Last edited by Steel Shade on Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Shade

No problem

Postby Steel Shade » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:09 pm

Newest version of Tips & Techniques available at http://geocities.com/solvolition/
Last edited by Steel Shade on Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Shade

mysterious loss of Tips & Techniques for download

Postby Steel Shade » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:22 pm

Enjoy!
Last edited by Steel Shade on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steel Shade

Postby Luc Trudeau » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:48 pm

Steel,
You surely put some life in DW with your Tips and Technics and you are one main reason why I still stick on this software.
I am wondering why you have no answer from the administrator!
Luc
Luc Trudeau

Next

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion