Installation problems DW Lite

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Installation problems DW Lite

Postby Dords » Fri May 21, 2004 3:56 pm

:( Hi everyone - can anyone offer any suggestions on the following please...

I have Win XP and when I unzip DW Lite (which I downloaded to try out),
I have 15 files unzipped. When I click on the "DW Installer" icon, I get the error messages

"Can't run 16-bit program"

"Cannot find C:\DesignWorkshop Lite\SETUP.EXE"

I've contacted both DW support and Microsoft to no avail

I'm tearing my hair out!

PS This also happened with Bob Vila's Home Design installed off a CD.
Dords

Postby Mike Wheeler » Fri May 21, 2004 8:31 pm

Dear Dords,

Try changing the name of the folder from DesignWorkshop Lite to DWL and then running Setup.exe again.

Windows XP can have difficulty running InstallShield installers when there are long file or folder names in the path to the installer.

Please let us know if you continue to have difficulty.

Best wishes,

Mike Wheeler
support@artifice.com
Mike Wheeler

Postby Dords » Fri May 21, 2004 9:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike - I've tried what you suggested, but still getting the error message "Cannot find SETUP.EXE". Any chance this file can be downloaded separately, as it would appear to be missing.

Cheers
Dords

Postby Mike Wheeler » Mon May 24, 2004 2:25 pm

Dords followed up by email over the weekend to say he did get the installer to work after moving the installer folder to the root level of the C:\ drive and shortening the name of the folder to DWL (any name 8 charachters or less should do the trick).

Mike
Mike Wheeler

Postby Dords » Mon May 24, 2004 3:53 pm

:D Mike - the two solutions you mentioned in your last post had already been tried earlier without success - it wasn't until I deleted, (backup first) then re-installed files ntvdm.exe and ntvdmd.dll that the programs would install. Obviously these files were corrupted.

They re-install from the protected cache automatically on re-boot.

By the way, I'm a 'she'.

Cheers
Dords

Postby Kevin » Tue May 25, 2004 3:22 pm

Dords, thanks for reporting your success! All this info adds to our collective knowledge.
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby clyde » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:39 am

Hi guys, I have problem of installing DW on my Windows XP home edition. I unzip the files successfully into the folder, but when i click SETUP.exe I see a logo pop up, and a 'running' bar showing the installer is starting, but afterthat, the pop up who require me to agree all terms, to press 'NEXT', 'NEXT' to finish installation doesn't show up anymore. I wonder anyone else have the similar problems? how to fix it.

By the way I am able to install it for my office computer running windows NT.

Please help. thank you.
clyde

re:

Postby F700ES » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:40 am

Try this....right click on the .exe file and go to properties and there should be a place the check off run in compatibility mode. This is to run applications in XP that were not made to run in XP. I am not in front of my XP machine or I could tell you exactly where to go. This might help. Good luck :)
F700ES

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion