Sketchup

Discuss 3D CAD and architectural software, and architectural rendering and design media-related topics. Moderated by the Artifice Customer Support Team.

Postby lavardera » Sat May 08, 2004 9:54 am

Drawings go back and forth easily via dwg. Filled polygons would be nice I suppose, but the time when I go back and forth is during the design phase - I really don't have to many filled polygons in PowerCadd at that point. Hell - I don't even close the corners on my powercadd drawings at that point. When the 2d drawing comes into Sketchup you can snap to the line intersections as readily as you can a corner - if you are going to work 3d over the 2d drawing I don't think it matters.

Putting down linework in PowerCadd is a totally different head than buildig a 3d model in sketchup (or any other 3d program I've used). A direct translator would be nice, but linework from PC will still be linework - I just don't see a useful short cut to building the model. What would you do - suddenly draw everything in PC with polygons to make them extrudable in 3d? Sketchup is so fast for 3d that this would waste more time in PC than you would gain back in Sketchup.

Here are some images going from 2d to 3d via PC and sketchup.

rough plan in Powercad

2d drwgs from power cad used to make rough massing and design study model in Sketchup:

starting to build a presentation model ontop of the Powercad drawings:

For the cost of this software you are foolish if you don't have it in your toolbox.
lavardera

SketchUP and PowerCADD

Postby Nick » Sat May 08, 2004 12:39 pm

Thanks Greg.
You are the Man !!
Nick

Nice use of soft colors...

Postby Kevin » Sat May 08, 2004 1:31 pm

Nice choice of soft colors, Greg. Very appropriate to the ambiguity of a preliminary stage of modeling. A good classic technique (for people familiar) for clearly breaking away from naive expectations of automatic photo-realism in computer graphics!

--

<a href="http://www.artifice.com/dw.html">DesignWorkshop</a> — the virtual building toolkit (tm)
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby lavardera » Sat May 08, 2004 1:48 pm

Thanks.

Not sure the thread should be moved - its about working between powercadd and sketchup and the discussion about a powercad specific translator. Keep it in the powercad forum.
lavardera

Postby lavardera » Sun May 09, 2004 11:12 pm

Now the link from the PowerCadd forum that said "moved" is gone! Well, I guess that conversation is killed!
lavardera

PowerCADD & SketchUP

Postby Nick » Mon May 10, 2004 9:41 am

What's up with that ?
Nick

PCadd to SketchUP

Postby stevef » Mon May 10, 2004 3:08 pm

GREG,
Is the background you have from a symbol library or trees, etc. you have developed?

Steve F
stevef

Postby lavardera » Mon May 10, 2004 4:27 pm

The tree is from a good friend who had originally drawn it in 2d cad and brought it into sketchup when he started using it. I'm afraid I can not share it.
lavardera

Previous

Return to Architectural 3D CAD Discussion