SKP vs DW

Discuss 3D CAD and architectural software, and architectural rendering and design media-related topics. Moderated by the Artifice Customer Support Team.

SKP vs DW

Postby bytesyze » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:56 am

I created a series of ModelPAKs for DW back in 2000 or so after becoming enamoured with DW and learning most of its capabilies.

As a MAC man since 1984 and thoroughly into OSX now, I created a similar series for SketchUp.

With these exercises under my belt and DW's failure to move to MAC OSX, I now do all my modeling (design and illustration) with OSX.

It is a different animal. but SKP allows me to visualize from all angles instantly, easily and in any presentation mode. It's great in all aspects - extreme;y satisfying with instant rendering, shadow casting, etc. - and has clear tutorials and a superior users group that exemplifies the spirit that DW had back in the olden days.
bytesyze

DW to SU

Postby roberto paredes » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:05 pm

Maybe you can help some of us make the transition to SU with a few tips. i am having a hard time with SU mainly getting used to "surfaces" vs "blocks".
editing objects also seems cumbersome. How do you edit a block? I can only use push/pull to move a face at a time?
roberto paredes

Re: DW to SU

Postby Andy Caldwell » Tue May 02, 2006 8:05 am

roberto paredes wrote:Maybe you can help some of us make the transition to SU with a few tips. i am having a hard time with SU mainly getting used to "surfaces" vs "blocks".
editing objects also seems cumbersome. How do you edit a block? I can only use push/pull to move a face at a time?

Roberto:

The best place for you to ask questions about SketchUp is not here but on the online forum at www.sketchup.com. As with this forum there's s very large and friendly gorup of users there.
And you should definitely go through all the tutorial videos for SketchUp and possibly consider buying the book as well.

Andy
Andy Caldwell

Postby John Cruet » Mon May 08, 2006 5:13 pm

From my point of view I think it would be helpful to discuss Sketchup independent of the Sketchup message board.

The Open 3D CAD discussion board seems as good a place as any.
John Cruet

Return to Architectural 3D CAD Discussion