The Energy Storage Issue

Discuss architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design related-topics. Moderated by the ArchitectureWeek editorial and support team.

The Energy Storage Issue

Postby WalkerARCHITECTS » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:37 pm

The most fundamental attribute of renewable energy is that it is free and also intermittent. The wind turbine is of no use as power generation when the wind does not blow. Solar is of no use if the cloud cover substantially reduces the capacity for both photo voltaic or Thermal collectors to acquire energy.

Without Seasonal cycle Energy Storage capacities that can collect energy in the summer for use in the winter the dream of a renewable energy world is held at bay. There is no renewable energy future without the corresponding energy storage solution.

The use of CO2 to solve this problem turns the waste product into a commodity. It empowers the transformation from the intermittent renewable energy problem and the pollution into a clean power on demand world. The use of CO2 as the working fluid to create very large scale energy storage is the potential permanent agent of delivery from climate change and the fossil fuel addiction.

SO THAT IS THE SOLUTION I HAVE UNDER COPYRIGHT

First Post @ Design Community on this subject was located at this URL. It was posted in 2008. I am asking Kevin to put it back up if possible.
http://archforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13872&sid=ae1a78c026b4a117c7891e16420abb07
See this Link, posted in 2010, it included a diagram of the CO2 Energy Storage Cycle.
http://arch.designcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33563

Our efforts to contact the DOE are still being ignored. It is now 2014!

[url]Download[/url]

See below:

Above sent to the Secretary (DOE) on 3/31/09 by email

It was sent a second time to the DOE on January 7, 2010

& Sent a third time on October 2nd, 2012

It included a link to the announcement. It included the diagram of the CO2 Energy Cycle.

Why is DOE ignoring me? What is wrong with the DOE?

This diagram below is the identical cycle that I posted to Design Community in 2008. Only this one is sanctioned by the DOE it was associated with Dr. Saar in an Article sanctioned by DOE. Here is the ISSUE, it is the Identical Cycle and clearly derivative of my work!!!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=CO2+Energy+Storage&view=detail&id=E0D99F7BBD720BB9BAB2FE255B888D789D742E15&first=1

These links also included.

http://arch.designcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37326

http://arch.designcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33574

The link above clearly establishes the copyright date of April 2008

http://www.prlog.org/10482326-co2-energy-storage-invented-by-walker-architects.html

Additional effort was made to protect the copyrights. By publishing here on Design Community.

Acknowledgement that my message was received is below
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM, The Secretary <The.Secretary@hq.doe.gov> wrote:

“Thank you for your email to Secretary of Energy Steven Chu. Your message has been received by the Office of the Executive Secretariat on behalf of the Secretary and will be reviewed by the appropriate Department of Energy officials.”

Thank you.

THEN NOTHING HAPPENED!

First post and assertion of the copyrights was made in April of 2008 when filed for the CONOCO PHILIPS Energy Prize.

Then Posted again as:

Energy Storage & The CO2 Puzzle
by WalkerARCHITECTS » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:08 pm

What do we do with CO2 emissions to mitigate the global environmental impacts?

CO2 Capture Technologies are currently too expensive.

Carbon Capture Technologies

It is imperative to protect the environment from manmade CO2 and conventional coal plants should not be constructed without carbon capture technologies. Before carbon dioxide (CO2) gas can be sequestered from power plants and other point sources, it must be captured as a relatively pure gas. Existing capture technologies, however, are not cost-effective when considered in the context of sequestering CO2 from power plants. Currently amine absorbers and cryogenic coolers are used to recover CO2 from combustion exhaust. The cost to capture the CO2 is currently $150.00 per ton or an electricity cost increase of 2.5 cents to 4 cents /kwh depending on the type of process. To make CO2 capture worthwhile it must have a value or other substantial contribution post capture and sequestration, that exceeds the cost recovery of current industrial uses.

To be successful, the techniques and practices to capture and sequester carbon must meet the following requirements:
• be effective and cost-competitive,
• provide stable, long term storage, and
• be environmentally benign.

Three capture technologies and four geologic storage mechanisms are envisaged. These are described and illustrated below:

Capture Technologies

Post-Combustion Scrubbing
Considered the first step towards large-scale capture, CO2 is removed from exhaust gas after combustion. This technology can be retrofitted to existing
equipment.

Pre-Combustion Decarbonization (Hydrogen)
Natural Gas is converted to hydrogen and CO2 in a reformer. The CO2 is compressed for storage and the hydrogen is mixed with air for combustion, emitting only nitrogen and water.

Oxyfuel
Oxygen is separated from air and then burned with hydrocarbons to produce an exhaust with a high concentration of CO2.

Carbon Sequestration

Geologic Storage
The schematic diagram below illustrates options for geologic storage. Note that some options provide additional energy and the potential to recover the cost of carbon capture.

CO2 stored in Saline Formations
CO2 displaces methane from coal
CO2 stored in depleted Oil / Gas Reservoir
CO2 displaces trapped Oil (enhanced oil recovery)

Using present technology, estimates of sequestration costs are in the range of $100 to $300/ton of carbon emissions avoided. The goal of the program is to reduce the cost of carbon sequestration to $10 or less per net ton of carbon emissions avoided by 2015. Achieving this goal would save the U.S. trillions of dollars.

No doubt, we can achieve some cost reductions with improved process and technology but the capacity to turn sequestration of CO2 into profits and achieve direct recovery of the cost would be just as good and achieving both would be better.

The key to unlocking the solution to all such problems is embodied not only by what is prevented, in this case a compelling incentive, but more importantly by the more desirable future state that is empowered and the significant additional net value added.

Transition to alternative renewable energy power generation systems and a more desirable, economical and sustainable energy future requires a solution to the problem of energy storage.

We need the missing piece of the puzzle. Fossil fuel needs viable alternatives to replace it’s current role in our civilization. Supercritical CO2 sequestered in depleted oil & gas reservoir following advanced oil recovery processes can be used to store massive amounts of energy because of the energy embodied in the phase change of the CO2 gas to supercritical state. The cost and energy that is invested in the process is of course recoverable and it thereafter empowers unlimited deployment of solar photo-voltaic power plant, wind mill farms and small scale hydro. In the short term such a strategy empowers economic justification for carbon capture and sequestration.

THE MISSING PIECE
Energy Storage and Regeneration

Solution; Massive energy storage capacities from sequestered supercritical CO2.

I would like to discuss the invention with DOE and work with DOE to determine the feasibility of the idea. I am not affiliated with any University or National Laboratory. I have limited experience working with Federal agencies and would appreciate advice regarding how best to proceed.
I am an architect with considerable engineering experience. I appreciate your time and interest and would request a response from an individual with appropriate technical expertise regarding this concept. Please find below my contact information and a link to my web site.

Walker Architects
Terry L. Walker, AIA
21712 21st Ave. West
Brier, WA 98036
206-718-6782
- blocked due to abuse -
WalkerARCHITECTS

Re: The Energy Storage Issue

Postby JWmHarmon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:58 pm

CO2 storage is one component of eliminating industrial waste. We must move to a cradle-to-grave re-invention of all industrial processes so that there is no waste, or minimal waste.

The fragmentation of industries requiring immense transportation costs could be redesigned to eliminate or minimize transportation of raw materials and finished materials.

Every item should be designed to minimize waste.

Every item designed should include a plan for how that item's components will be recycled.

Energy use is one component of the entire process. Every item should be designed with thought given to how to reduce the amount of energy needed for its production.
JWmHarmon

Return to Architecture Forum