ARCHITECT and NOT SCIENTISTS Creates NEW Power Cycle

Discuss architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design related-topics. Moderated by the ArchitectureWeek editorial and support team.

Postby WalkerARCHITECTS » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:52 am

I am an Architect and not a scientist. The idea began in 2007. It was MY idea. The idea has been purloined since then by quite a few, even the major Federally Funded Labs. Actually since we hold the copyright we will eventually seek compensation assuming someday we have enough money to file a lawsuit. Turbines designed to generate electricity in a way that has never been done before is what we envisioned in 2008 and it may soon be accomplished in the real world. It will be done in the same manner and according to the same cycle we envisioned years ago. But I will not be involved. For some reason the Federally Funded Labs will not even talk to me.
But a team led by a government funded lab the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory will become the first in the world to produce electricity from the Earths heat with co2. Despite many communications the DOE still refuses to acknowledge me.

This idea comes from my original paper submitted to the Conoco Philips Energy Prize in April 2008. The Illustration notes High Pressure & Sub-Surface Temperatures and lists the process in ten steps
1. Electrical Input from renewable energy is used to drive
2. The Compressor Train to force the co2 down
3. The Injection well and into
4. A Reservoir under- ground which may be a natural cavern, or reinforced concrete tank that was carved through the rock with a tunneling machine. The sub surface temperatures make underground desirable but it could be a tank above ground too… but less efficient.
5. The extraction well conducts the co2, having absorbed the geothermal component, heat!
6. A co2 Turbine converts the Temperature and pressure mechanically to actuate the
7. Generator! Creating AC power… the co2 is then recaptured as part of the cycle in a
8. Low Pressure Chamber to be recompressed and re-injected.
9. The Powerhouse conditions the electrical power and matches the line transmission and delivers…
10. Electrical Power Output made from Renewable Energy on Demand

This is the CO2 ENERGY STORAGE CYCLE that I and nobody else, created. That is a fact.
The Cycle I created, is now defined by the Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory at this web site;

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2011/08/08/geothermal-co2/

NOTE: IT IS IDENTICAL!!!
The (BERKLEY) cycle begins with co2 arriving on the left side (1&2) and being injected down a Injection Well. (3&4) (Perhaps it is moved with renewable energy) (There is a monitoring well for scientists to do some testing) Then a production well that feeds a co2 turbine (5&6) and generates electrical power producing AC power (7 ) which in turn is condensed again (compressor train) and pumped back into the ground (8) (Reservoir underground) Not mentioned is the electrical power delivery (9&10) which is implied. This concept is under my COPYRIGHT.

Now it appears as though I should be getting some credit for my work since I identified the cycle. I did it first. I have been writing the DOE and they will not correspond with me at all. They have NEVER explained why! I suspect that I inspired someone who read my paper. The problem is I am not being acknowledged and I am the creator of co2 energy storage. This is wrong!

Sincerely, Terry L. Walker, Architect

http://energy.gov/articles/department-energy-awards-more-11-million-advance-innovative-geothermal-energy-technologies
WalkerARCHITECTS

Re: ARCHITECT and NOT SCIENTISTS Creates NEW Power Cycle

Postby WalkerARCHITECTS » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:00 pm

Steve Jobs said “Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.” This is good advice for everyone.

The United States has significantly greater renewable energy resources (e.g. solar, wind, biomass, etc) than can effectively be utilized by the electric grid due to the intermittent nature of the generation and remoteness of the renewable resources from large load centers. A further barrier to greater exploitation of renewable energy is that in some locales the renewable energy may be competing with very low cost generation resources.

All of that could change very soon.

Climate Change is already becoming a crisis. Rahm Emanual said “Never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that, it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.”

Many countries including the USA are considering taxing CO2 emissions which will increase the cost of power generation methods that generate CO2. The most common method currently considered for dealing with CO2 emissions is the capture of the CO2, pressurization, and then sequestration in either rock formations or saline aquifers.

This is relatively costly in both capital investment and operation of the equipment. It is anticipated that separation, capture, pressurization, pumping, and sequestering of CO2 could cost as much as $91 per ton of CO2. The possibility that the CO2 could escape from sequestration and thus requires monitoring and additional costs…. Forever, unless chemically bound to sorbents or other material.

However CO2 Energy Storage by Walker Architects would turn the waste gas into a commodity, capable of covering the monitoring, conversion and storage costs. A typical 500 MW coal fired power plant can generate more than 500 tons of CO2 per hour, the cost impact would be $45.500 per hour. This one time cost would significantly increase the cost of generated electricity. Walker Architects realized in 2006 that a solution to this problem would be necessary, that to make it cost effective we must get substantial benefit from the CO2 storage to offset those costs. This is an application of the old wisdom to waste not is to want not. Waste your money and you're only out of money, but waste your time and you waste your life. Spend your money wisely and invest in the most cogent possible future. Waste is always a loss. Turning a loss into a profit is Genius.

With so much evidence of depleting natural resources, toxic waste, climate change, irreparable harm to our food chain and rapidly increasing instances of natural disasters, why do we keep perpetuating the problem? Why do we continue marching at the same alarming beat? In tough times, some of us see protecting the climate as a luxury, but that's an outdated 20th-century worldview from a time when we thought industrialization was the end goal, waste was growth, and wealth meant a thick haze of air pollution. Waste is always a loss the result of intellectual poverty. Waste has a future, it makes an impact, since it will have consequence, design intelligence compels it to be a good one. Disaster is not popular.

The companies currently generating the CO2 while generating electrical power from fossil fuel, face a perpetual and unquantifiable liability, while dumping a valuable commodity into the atmosphere. The waste is one of the most versatile working fluids on the planet. CO2 is critical to all the living things on the planet. We can use it to do amazing things. The reality of CO2 is that once the CO2 is contained under pressure, it becomes very useful as a working fluid. It can drive a turbine and generate electrical power more efficiently than a steam driven turbine.

This waste gas under pressure in containment sustains the embodied energy until it is tapped. It sits in a containment vault for 1000 years and can then be tapped to drive a turbine for energy generation. There is massive potential because the working fluid has the perfect fit to the problem of storing energy. CO2 is more efficient and more effective than steam because it is storable across large spans of time, it can be stored at high pressure and high temperatures in a supercritical state for long periods of time. It can operate at lower temperatures with the same performance as Supercritical steam. Co2 can be recaptured easily, recompressed and then reused, again and again. It does not wear out, It has it’s own power cycle it changes state under pressure and sustains that state until used to do work.

Waste nothing. As an Architect I have to confess that there is truth to the fact that Architecture is the art of how to waste space. But we also practice the art of making use of waste. Waste is worse than just the basic loss.

The time is coming when every person who lays claim to any ability will keep the question of waste before him constantly. The scope of thrift is limitless. This is good advice in nature but ignored in the world of man. Sustainability is a way of thinking about the world. The living world cycles everything with no waste products at all. The world of man, is not engaged in sustainable practices and waste is the common outcome. Until Climate Change became known to mankind as a serious problem nobody would have considered the CO2 we dump into the atmosphere as being a valuable commodity. The money based thinking is that waste is disposed of in the cheapest possible way. But, oddly, this particular waste is actually very useful when we put it to work for us. In fact only a fool would throw it away!

The United States now imports over 50% of its petroleum based fuels. There is a strong need to develop domestic resources for both Built Environment and transportation fuels to the maximum extent possible. If a means of storing intermittent renewable energy and off-peak nuclear or hydro energy was developed, this energy storage capacity would reduce energy demands on fossil fuels. The energy security of the United States would be improved.

It is certain that renewable electricity can be stored in CO2 under pressure. It could be used to drive turbines and generate electricity. If renewable energy surplus was used to recapture and recompress the CO2 then a new Power cycle driven by renewable energy would empower Solar, Wind and other renewable energy sources to operate as power on demand. Shunted Power from Nuclear Power Plants, Hydroelectric Dams and even fossil fuel power plants would not be wasted, but captured and stored as pressure in containment, similar CAES.
WalkerARCHITECTS

Re: ARCHITECT and NOT SCIENTISTS Creates NEW Power Cycle

Postby WalkerARCHITECTS » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:16 pm

ARCHITECT Creates NEW Power Cycle
by WalkerARCHITECTS » Fri Jul 04, 2016 2:52 am
ARCHITECT Creates NEW Power Cycle CopyRight

I am an Architect and not a scientist. This idea began in 2007. It was MY idea. Since I defined the CO2 cycle for power generation and published in 2008, this idea has been purloined, adopted, or referenced since then by quite a few people. The National Lab System does not recognize MY work. Turbines designed to generate electricity in a way that has never been done before is what we envisioned in 2008 and it may soon be accomplished in the real world. It will be done in the same manner and according to the same cycle we envisioned eight years ago.

It is firmly established that I am the inventor of this power cycle. I may be the first to produce efficient energy storage with CO2 as a working fluid.

This idea comes from my original paper submitted to the Conoco Philips Energy Prize in April 2008. The Illustration notes using High Pressure and may include Sub-Surface Temperatures, and lists the process below in ten steps. The power cycle is the same although a different configuration has now been defined.

1. Electrical Input from renewable energy is used to inject & Contain CO2 in a tank or suitable vault.
2. A compressor Train exists inside of this tank or suitable vault. There is a pure CO2 atmosphere inside
3. Mechanism inside sustains uniform pressure within tolerance.
4. The compressor Train drives extremely high pressure into the tank that is contained.
5. It is a tank inside a tank.
6. The CO2 inside that external tank, or vault, is compressed to extremely high pressure.
7. On demand, high pressure CO2 is released and turns the CO2 Turbine.
8. The Turbine drives a generator to produce electrical power.
9. The turbine exhausts the CO2 back into the Containment Tank or Suitable vault.
10. Mechanism inside sustains uniform pressure within tolerance

The CO2 is permanently contained and used over and over again as a working fluid.

This is a unique CO2 ENERGY STORAGE CYCLE that I have created.
Sincerely, Terry L. Walker, Architect

A new power cycle has been invented, COPYRIGHT July 4, 2016, TERRY L. WALKER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED NO REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION OF OWNER
WalkerARCHITECTS
WalkerARCHITECTS

Return to Architecture Forum