Unlicensed architect, DuPage County Illinois

Discuss all kinds of home design and building, residential remodeling, and related topics.

Postby O-Archy » Sat May 16, 2009 12:56 am

Heh,
It must be summer, the snow has mostly melted and the trolls are out...

Must
Not
Feed
the
Trolls!!

I've been to House on the Rock, Spring Green, Oak Park and other terrific examples of creative structure... many strong architectural principles are exemplified by those who created and implemented an ideal. Perfection is elusive, and to compare failure of NASA's missions to STILL STANDING structures .... weak ....

"Firmeness, commodity + delight"
Mr. Stewart, can you identify with who originated this statement?

You've been spraying a tonne of insults...
Humanity bashing human... you are the proof. :evil:
BeLittle and Riducule = a little ridiculous...

Carry on
O-Archy

Postby O-Archy » Sat May 16, 2009 12:58 am

edited due to triple post...
Last edited by O-Archy on Tue May 19, 2009 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
O-Archy

Postby O-Archy » Sat May 16, 2009 1:00 am

edited due to triple post...
Last edited by O-Archy on Mon May 18, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O-Archy

Postby csintexas » Sat May 16, 2009 10:55 am

Mark started the humanity bashing I simple kicked it up a notch as Emeril would say.

"Firmeness, commodity + delight"
Can't be sure but with the misspelling I would guess it was you. If you are talking about the phrase in particular it looks to be fairly modern with the plus sign used but is generally attributed to Henry Wotton, who translated Vitruvius' text in 1624. and originally Vitruivius -Ten Books on Architecture.

I simply like to make sure that no one thinks they are automatically above anyone else by virtue of what school they attended or whether they hold an architecture license. Lot's of big headed people like Mark floating around that think they are so smart and perfect and could never possibly make a mistake when in fact he has made multiple mistakes just in this one conversation.

Or phansford who seems to believe the mere fact that he has a license makes him morally superior or care about public safety more or that it gives him a greater legal responsibility than residential designers.

All of these things are simply false and I don't like people lying in public and misrepresenting facts and I also don't care to read a bunch of unproven allegations. It is true I enjoy pissing matches and will take anyone who starts one on.

If anyone thinks they can get away with a round about insult like:
I guess you can do or say anything if you don't have any academic rigor.

Without a response, than they are sadly mistaken. Particularly when the phrase is not even being properly applied and he failed to even answer the appropriate question I had also asked. Where is the academic rigor in that?

So yes I am guilty.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Sat May 16, 2009 11:10 am

Perfection is elusive, and to compare failure of NASA's missions to STILL STANDING structures .... weak ....

Here I don't know what you are talking about. I never compared the space shuttle to a any standing structure. You may want to reread that post.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby djswan » Sat May 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Mark's post have said numerous and quite frankly idiotic statements that I could quote all day long. His first post was the dummest and I quoted it...and then starts yapping about Frank Wrong to find a comfort zone. I don't think he would know an architect if one were to slap him in the face.

Perhaps if you can tell me something about wood that I don't know would be a good thing. Be the professional that you are not.
djswan
millennium club

Postby Checkpoint43 » Sat May 16, 2009 2:15 pm

When did we start using big words like "Academic Rigor"?

I never went to one of them thar big-city colleges to learn words like that.

I was busy designing houses for people.

If-un I were to go to a big city college, do you think they will teach me anything about designing houses or will I waste my time learning big citified words like "Academic Rigor"?

I've seen some of the houses them collegey boys drawed up.
They's about as useful as them collegy words like "academic rigor".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7s0xzaMdyQ
Checkpoint43

Postby Checkpoint43 » Sat May 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Checkpoint43

Postby djswan » Sun May 17, 2009 10:57 pm

Those were some interesting videos Checkpoint, still don't know who you are. I'm Derek. I did feel pity watching those spam. Should I not have? The clue game is interesting. I know Chris has skills. 8)
djswan
millennium club

Postby Checkpoint43 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:27 am

Nice to meet you, Derek.

You're right. Chris does have skills.
So does Phansford and several other people in this forum.

I would like the opportunity to exibit their work.
Checkpoint43

Postby djswan » Mon May 18, 2009 12:37 am

You're right, I know skills when I see it. Are you skilled at exibiting other people's skills? Although I did see a few foot in the mouth comments that I had the pleasure of quoting too. :D I can prove anyone is human.
djswan
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Mon May 18, 2009 7:57 am

Thanks, this is one of my better skills:

Your stupid drawing don't mean anything.
Your accusation are just bizarre I am not sure you are sane.
Honestly phansford if this is the sort of thing you would provide as evidence you need to get out of the business
I told you your drawings are stupid because they are stupid...........
Again: I called your drawing stupid because it is a stupid drawing.
Your drawing is stupid because a drawing does not constitute proof.
You would be an extremely lousy lawyer.
You must have just purchased a copy of structural engineering for dummies.
Only a fool would make calculations based on incomplete information and unlike yourself I am no fool.
If Mark is a structural engineer than God help us all.
So what? Did you actually need seven years of college in order to know how to hire professionals?
Neither of you (as far as I can discern from this conversation) are particularly bright.
Duh!
Mark in particular seems to be just short of an idiot.
(this isn't about grimmes you donkey)
Phansford wouldn't know academic rigor if it bit him on the spam. Wake up man!
It is absolutely incredible to me that two college trained individuals can actually be this dense. Are you two on drugs?

(this isn't about grimmes you donkey) -I particularly liked this one -anyone else been watching Hell's Kitchen this year?

also: So what? Did you actually need seven years of college in order to know how to hire professionals?

I really want to know the answer to this one. From college day1 how many years of training did this actually take?

And finally what is an Unlicensed architect? It seems to me that you can't be an architect without a license. Stupid me, I guess I should have known Mark was an idiot from the start.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby Mark Mc » Mon May 18, 2009 10:17 am

csintexas wrote:Thanks, this is one of my better skills

That's something to proud of :roll:, I myself wouldn't call it a skill, but if it's what you're best at...., however I know a seven year old that could give you a run for your money, he's insecure as well, but not for long, he'll grow out of it.

To think that a grown man is proud to call people names on the internet is almost funny but really it's just quite sad.

csintexas wrote:And finally what is an Unlicensed architect? It seems to me that you can't be an architect without a license.

There are several categories of unlicensed architects, one is a graduate with an architectural degree that hasn't obtained their licensing yet. Another can be someone like yourself for example, that considers oneself a designer. But then takes it a little further and starts referring to oneself as an architect, or offers architectural services or offers and practices architecture. Yet another is what they refer to the person being arrested and charged for violating the law.

For instance, you're not qualified to design commercial buildings, only a licensed architect is. Now if you did somehow pass yourself off and designed a commercial building, the very act would be practicing unlicensed architecture therefore making you an unlicensed architect.

Here's how the lawmakers in Missouri use the term in their statutes:

Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 327
Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors and Landscape
Section 327.461

August 28, 2008

Contract with unlicensed architect, professional engineer or professional land surveyor unenforceable by them.

327.461. Every contract for architectural or engineering or land surveying services entered into by any person who is not an architect or professional engineer or professional land surveyor, as the case may be, and who is not exempt from the provisions of this chapter, shall be unenforceable by the unlicensed or unauthorized person, whether in contract, quantum meruit or other legal theory, regardless of whether a benefit has been conferred. "

Link

And here is another example used by the State of New York

DOI ARRESTS UNLICENSED ARCHITECT FOR FILING FORGED DOCUMENTS

ROSE GILL HEARN, Commissioner of the Department of Investigation (DOI), today announced the felony arrest of DOMINICK G. BRIOCHE, the former owner of GRID DESIGN SERVICE, a Brooklyn-based business, and formerly an Expediter registered with the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB), on charges of filing with DOB eight sets of forged architectural plans and related documents.

Commissioner Rose Gill Hearn said, “Evading safeguards by knowingly filing a forged architect’s certification of a building plan is a criminal act that also could jeopardize public safety. Anyone foolish enough to file false and forged documents with a City office faces the risks of arrest, criminal prosecution, and, upon conviction, a prison term.”

BRIOCHE, 39, of Brooklyn, was arrested last Thursday and charged with seven counts of Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument in the Second Degree, a class D felony, Offering a False Instrument for Filing in the First Degree, a class E felony, Falsifying Business Records in the First Degree, a class E felony, Unauthorized Use of a Professional Title, a class A misdemeanor, and related crimes. If convicted, she faces up to seven years in prison.

BRIOCHE is not a licensed architect. After a homeowner asked DOB how to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy for construction work BRIOCHE had designed, DOB’s Special Investigations Unit (BSIU), working with DOI, investigated the matter. The investigation revealed that between 2001 and 2005 BRIOCHE had filed eight sets of plans with DOB’s Brooklyn office knowing that they included the forged signature, stamp, and State license number of a licensed architect who had neither reviewed the plans nor authorized the use of his stamp and signature on them. Under DOB’s regulations, the filings would not have been accepted unless they were endorsed and signed by a New York State-licensed architect.

Commissioner Gill Hearn thanked DOB Commissioner Patricia Lancaster and her staff for their assistance and cooperation.

The investigation was conducted by DOI and BSIU investigators, including, from DOI, Inspector General Rebecca Holland and Acting Deputy Inspector General Kim Ryan, and from BSIU, Special Inspector General Dennis Curran and Supervising Investigator James McElligott.

The office of Kings County District Attorney Charles J. Hynes is prosecuting the case, which has been assigned to Assistant District Attorney Michael Ryan.

Criminal complaints are accusations. Defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Link
Link

"BRIOCHE is not a licensed architect."

Maybe a home designer? Must be according to your logic.

I could give you many more examples, but if you haven't figured it out yet you probably never will.

csintexas wrote:Stupid me,

Sounds like you're on to something, I concur.

Mark Mc

Postby Mark Mc » Mon May 18, 2009 10:30 am

csintexas wrote:It's kind of funny how you don't mind implying the police chief may be corrupt (with a disclaimer) but get so offended if someone throws a few insults your way.

I never implied the police chief was corrupt, it's funny how you pick out the one person that I don't think is. I have very good reasons to believe that the police chief is not involved in the corruption at all. Now if you want to discuss the community development director or the village president, that's a different story. They are the ones that got sweet deals on their homes that aren't properly listed with the assessors office resulting in a lower tax bill. All I have done is provide the facts, it's up to the individual to decide for themselves what they think about the local politicians. As far as the unlicensed architect, there is no doubt that he's been breaking the law.

I'm not offended by your insults, I think they are childish and say more about you. But if it makes you feel like a man have at it.

Mark Mc

Postby csintexas » Mon May 18, 2009 10:48 am

Those are just examples of the word architect being misused

Just the facts
* There is illegal activity and corruption that has been ongoing for over a decade in the Village of Lombard.
* The Village of Lombard officials are either complicit in these matters or incompetent.

* There is an unqualified and unlicensed "architect" by the name of Paul Grimes designing homes for builders operating in Lombard. He has been doing so for more than a decade in violation of both Illinois and Lombard laws.
* The unlicensed "architect", Paul Grimes, most commonly works with two local builders: Sunrise Homes and United Home Builders. Both are located in Lombard, and both have had members who sat on the Village of Lombard's Board of Building Appeals.
* When this information was brought to the attention of Village officials and employees, no action was taken. Why?
* The Village President, Community Development Director and the Chief of Police, all have the unlicensed "architect", Paul Grimes, listed as the architect on their personal homes.

How do you figure you have not implicated the Chief of Police in this?
csintexas
millennium club

PreviousNext

Return to Residential Design and Building Forum