Waterproofing on exisitng flat roof

Discuss all kinds of home design and building, residential remodeling, and related topics.

Waterproofing on exisitng flat roof

Postby j5v55 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:55 am

Currently, the outdoor canopy has flat roof.
The contractor will do the waterproofing again and just wonder what kind of waterproofing will do the best in upper New York state.
It's about 9,000SF flat roof with drain and scuppers.

The existing waterproofing membrane will remain and the contractor will do new waterproof on top of it.

I just wonder on this situation what kind of waterproofing will work.

ELASTOMERIC SHEET WATERPROOFING or HOT FLUID-APPLIED RUBBERIZED ASPHALT WATERPROOFING or COLD FLUID-APPLIED WATERPROOFING, CEMENTITIOUS AND REACTIVE WATERPROOFING, POLYMER MODIFIED CEMENT WATERPROOFING, CRYSTALLINE WATERPROOFING, METAL OXIDE WATERPROOFING, or BENTONITE WATERPROOFING......

There're so many method of waterproofing....and I am confused and need your help.

thank you
j5v55

Postby phansford » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:40 am

Just my opinion, but if this thing is 9,000 SF in area - you would benefit from having an architect or engineer involved. They are going to give you the pros and cons of each system AND they don't make their money from selling you a specific roofing membrane - and therefore do not have a vested interest in telling you to use a specific material.

Again it would be great to have some photos - but I am highly suspect that just changing out the membrane is going to resolve your problem.
phansford
millennium club

Postby cousinbirgco » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:50 pm

J5, Phansford is 100% correct and there's an expression about throwing good money after bad.
I would not spend a dime until the roof structure (including flashing) is assessed by a professional other than the roofing contractor. From what you describe, the framing, sheathing etc, may be seriously deficient. Adding another layer of anything on top will only make the problem worse. (jmho)
cousinbirgco

Return to Residential Design and Building Forum