On going project -more than min.

Discuss all kinds of home design and building, residential remodeling, and related topics.

Re: On going project -more than min.

Postby djswan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks Birgco,that sounds like a good plan. I will make honest attempt to have more sex. Wish me good luck and god speed.

"Unfortunately this project is not going to meet the high standards which Birgco set in his traditional home project.

The framing method used was to throw lumber at it and disregard any details drawn on the plan"

I would argue that throwing lumber at it and disregarding any details drawn, defines traditional. I don't see any empty beer cans around the site. Can I assume the tradional practice of burying them in the walls as a time capsule is being employeed?
djswan
millennium club

Postby phansford » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:11 am

csintexas wrote:Unfortunately this project is not going to meet the high standards which Birgco set in his traditional home project.

There are differently levels of design - mostly based on budget. That doesn't mean that an inexpensive house has to be poorly designed. It also makes it vitally important that the designer gets the big picture issues thoughtfully designed, such as massing, scale, proportion. If details are lost either by chose or unskilled builder, the overall quality of the design is still preserved.

Looking at the photos - it looks like the big issues of the design are still being maintained. The Owner will figure out in a few years that all the short-cuts and material changes made by the contractor come with a price. Of course, they'll blame your design, because clearly the contractor knows what he's doing. :wink:
phansford
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Here is an update. Exterior is almost finished and th interior is almost ready for paint.

IMG_4130 by csintexas, on Flickr

IMG_4134 by csintexas, on Flickr
csintexas
millennium club

Postby phansford » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Nice job Chris.

I'm not a fan of the clients choice of stone color, but I sure they love it. :lol:

I like the brick pattern you used on the body of the house. It adds a nice texture.
phansford
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:41 pm

Agreed -it was not the stone I thought they where going to use.

Regardless of the fact that they made finish choices that I would not have I am pleased to see them making choices which are still thoughtful and make the house unique and interesting.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby ftfrontop » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:04 am

Frontop provide 3d architectural renderings and 3d animations for you!
ftfrontop

Postby csintexas » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 am

Here are 20 or so final pictures of this finished project.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cspics/680 ... 6006157904

I am also interested in keeping track of energy usage so I might post about that as we get some data in. There where some extra measures taken but everything is pretty standard with no final blow door test to check tightness.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby phansford » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:51 am

Looks nice.
phansford
millennium club

Postby RickBalkins » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:19 am

csintexas wrote:Here are 20 or so final pictures of this finished project.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cspics/680 ... 6006157904

I am also interested in keeping track of energy usage so I might post about that as we get some data in. There where some extra measures taken but everything is pretty standard with no final blow door test to check tightness.

Great job Chris... Yes, client and builder pick and choose and probably not that good of eye on color. A suggestion might be to do is to do mock ups with samples that can be returned to get the appropriate sense under right lighting conditions like outside or under a porch in similar direction and not the flourescent lighting. Just ideas for future work and suggestions to give builders and client to see them more for what they will be in comparable setting not the shop floor. Stone colors should be carefully picked.... However... Dirt, mildew, and what not will tamper down some of the contrast over time.
RickBalkins

Previous

Return to Residential Design and Building Forum