The Addams Family Mansion

Discuss all kinds of home design and building, residential remodeling, and related topics.

The Addams Family Mansion

Postby Ludwig Bon Quirog » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:29 am

I'm looking to get a qualified answer regarding what type of architectural design category the Addams Family estate falls under.

I know there are a lot of able architects here who can recognize a style at first glance. I direly need some of you to tell me what type it is. More than one. As many of you who can tell me. I just want to know. I'm about to start building it soon.

For a picture of the house, see it here or in the link below.

http://bonbonquest.blogspot.com/2011/08/addams-family-mansion.html
Ludwig Bon Quirog

Re: The Addams Family Mansion

Postby csintexas » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:09 am

Victorian.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby Ludwig Bon Quirog » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:21 am

csintexas wrote:Victorian.

Thanks very much for the response... I also need insight on what Victorian style it has as far as US designs are concerned.

I'm about to have it built soon and I'm soliciting information from expert architects online.
Ludwig Bon Quirog

Postby csintexas » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:23 am

Which adams family show is it from? -it does not look like the original
csintexas
millennium club

Postby phansford » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:33 pm

As CSinTexas said - this is best referred to in generic terms as Victorian. There are different varieties of Victorian, but this house does not necessarily fit cleanly in one of the categories. The mansard roof is Second Empire, the round top windows are Italianate, the pediment is from the Queen Anne, the tower from Italian Villa.

If I had to serious classify this house it would simply be Victorian Eclectic. (Typically considered by architects as a bastard style) :(
phansford
millennium club

Postby SDR » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:23 am

Certainly. While the overall feeling, at first glance, is Italianate, there are oddities galore, including the out-of-place gable end to the right of the tower. And no one had ever before made a tower which cantilevers from its support above a front door -- as far as I know !

I haven't looked (yet), but I suspect that artist Charles Addams, who made his many single-panel cartoons (published for years in the New Yorker and elsewhere) in the form of carefully-drawn and painted renderings, was unlikely to have invented his mansion from whole cloth as was done here.

Or did he ? An original Addams cartoon is found, fifth image on the page, here:

http://tinyurl.com/3r2fuoo

SDR
SDR
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:26 pm

I would not characterize it as Italianate. Round top windows are not a defining characteristic of Victorian but still seem to be fairly common. I agree with phansford mostly second empire. The only thing you would not find on a typical second empire Victorian is the pediment which could place it toward the end of the second empire period.

I would not consider it a bastard though since it is all Victorian -(it just does not fit definitively into one particular period)
csintexas
millennium club

Postby phansford » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:22 pm

The style IS Victorian Eclectic.

The eclectic held to no rules - it was just a jumble of elements from various styles at the whim of the designer. Unlike the other "styles" of the era - there is no rigor. Hence - its considered a bastard style by most architects. I'm only referring to it as commonly known. Its not a personal statement.
phansford
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:20 pm

I don't see any eclecticism in it. It is pretty straight forward later period Victorian most likely built in the Western US.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby SDR » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:54 pm

Built ?
SDR
millennium club

Postby phansford » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:21 am

SDR wrote:Built ?

I thought this was just a movie set also....... so really any conversation about architectural style is sort of moot at best. :lol:

Not that my Master of Architecture with an emphasis on architectural history/theory or my professional work in historic preservation doesn't afford me some level of confidence in my knowledge of architectural styles. :roll:
phansford
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:18 am

The Field Guide to American Houses does not mention Victorian Eclectic
but I have found other references to it:

VICTORIAN ECLECTIC
1880s – 1900
Victorian Eclectic structures are highly decorative and exhibit stylistic influences so numerous that they do not fit into any one of the previous single styles of architecture. Dating from the 1870s through 1900, these buildings feature an unusual combination of elements from a variety of Victorian styles.

So I agree, if the definition of Victorian Eclectic is "not fitting cleanly into one specific style" than this is Victorian Eclectic.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby ozmallo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:53 pm

I'll have to say (with my limited knowledge) not Victorian, look at the roof, French influence, late nineteenth-century France, look at Lacroux's book 'La Brique Ordinaire' or Chaillot Hill facing the Champs de Mars a flamboyant and eclectic Beaux Arts tour-de-force. But who cares it's ugly High Victorian Gothic is fine.

Oz
mallohomeplan.com
ozmallo

Postby phansford » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:03 am

A lot of styles use the Mansard roof. Second Empire (Victorian) used it. There are a number of variants to Victorian. Victorian really speaks to a time period rather than a specific style.

Just to be clear..... this house has nothing to do with the Beux Arts.

ozmallo wrote:I'll have to say (with my limited knowledge)

To add to your knowledge base:

Get a copy A Field Guide to American Houses. That's a good start.

Most state preservation offices have their own guides. Getting a couple different states for your library is a good idea. Some styles only occur regionally or have regional elements.
phansford
millennium club

Postby ozmallo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:55 am

Yes, yes you're right thanks for the clarity.
I believe it's French Second Empire neo-Baroque.
Fletcher's, A History of Architecture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaux-Arts_architecture
ozmallo

Next

Return to Residential Design and Building Forum