The Addams Family Mansion

Discuss all kinds of home design and building, residential remodeling, and related topics.

Re: The Addams Family Mansion

Postby phansford » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:56 am

Sir Bannister really isn't a good source for American residential styles. You really want to use McLester and the other types of books I mentioned. :D
phansford
millennium club

Postby WalkerARCHITECTS » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Clearly the basic underlying character is definitely "Victorian Second Empire", 1870 aprx. sometime. Almost all of the comment above is reasonable but the roof and the tower element is a dead give away.

Phansford is right but the reference is actually Virginia & Lee McAlester to correct his typo. See also Lester Walker on "AMERICAN SHELTER" the Illustrated Encyclopedia.

The Roof could be Chateauesque but the 1890 characteristics related to scale are wrong. It is not "Stick or Queen Anne" It is not in my experience High Victorian familiar to me from my work in San Francisco. Certainly not Richardsonian, Shingle or Folk victorian.
WalkerARCHITECTS

Postby SDR » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:47 pm

It seems rather a pity that so much effort, guided or misguided, has been lavished on what was nothing more than a Hollywood artist's latter-day conception, perhaps even tongue-in-cheek, of a "Victorian horror," based not on any original but on what a revered cartoon artist drew fifty years ago ! But it's been a useful exercise anyway, I'm sure . . .

SDR
SDR
millennium club

Postby phansford » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:55 pm

SDR wrote:It seems rather a pity that so much effort, guided or misguided, has been lavished on what was nothing more than a Hollywood artist's latter-day conception, perhaps even tongue-in-cheek, of a "Victorian horror," based not on any original but on what a revered cartoon artist drew fifty years ago ! But it's been a useful exercise anyway, I'm sure . . .

SDR

I keep thinking the same thing. :lol:
phansford
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:02 am

A pity?

Isn't the purpose of this forum to discuss architecture?

It makes no difference whether this is an actual house or not. The question of what style it is is valid either way.

I suppose we could also ask the question:
If it is not a real house -could it have been?

I think that the answer is yes

Anyway
-Even though the original poster has not been participating in the discussion that person has probably received a good response.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby SDR » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:53 am

That last isn't necessarily a valid conclusion . . . !

S
SDR
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:02 pm

Why?
csintexas
millennium club

Postby SDR » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Well, posters may remain mute either because they've left satisfied or left unsatisfied -- no ?

Not everyone puts up a fight when they don't agree with what they read . . . ! :D

SDR
SDR
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:11 am

Well, I found it interesting at least. -My understanding of eclectic was a bit different than the one used here.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby susandixon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:02 am

Is this the house they had used for the movie? it seems to be different from teh one I saw in the movie

House Plans Houston
susandixon

Postby RickBalkins » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:40 am

It is second empire with alteration.

Italianates can have a mansard but that would be exclusively on the tower while you can have rounded top windows with italianate.... This is second empire which for all intent is essentially an italianate with a mansard MAIN roof. However, a second empire may draw other attributes too.

Second empire buildings were popular haunted houses in the 50s and 60s when many such houses and school houses were unused and often dark, spider webs, dirty, dusty, and since most were built before modern lighting were dark and often with paint peeling and were made of wood or greyish brick that has became dark. The pallettes were commonly darker but even with wood buildings, with paint pealed and use just see the wood that had probably been creasoted or oiled varnished or something way back for preservative and then used oil based paint on top. Keep in mind that with wrought iron works were used in the period for fences and gates and sometime masonry of dark stones like basalt used for walls and retaining walls all add to the haunted feeling especially with an unusual by 1950s-60s and later sense of roof forms.

Otherwise, they are still nice, beautiful buildings.
RickBalkins

Postby RickBalkins » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:54 am

The depicted photo is from a later Addams Family show incarnation... Movies?

In any case, the house was always depicted as a Second Empire since the original cartoonist who lived in a second empire... Named Charles Addams... Coincidence?

In the original story and probably relates to some aspect of Charles Addams home. So, the story is sort of a artistic dramatization drawn from the original cartoonist life and family living in a second empire house that at times may have seemed spooky... To the overactive imagination of kids and some adults.
RickBalkins

Postby RickBalkins » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:25 am

My credentials.... I can walk right up to TWO second empire buildings on campus. I am also have education and training in historic preservation. Although not completely or empiracally correct, a second empire is commonly best visualizing an italianate building with a mansard roof on top and you get a close sense. That mansard is a french thing and you will often find some additional french flair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deady_Hall
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villard_Hall

What is beautiful... They are basically right next to each other.
RickBalkins

Postby RickBalkins » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:41 am

Before the Astoria High School buildings built on 16th and Jerome in 1911, the first location of the high school of astoria, oregon... Astoria Public School built in the 18--. My guess, for at least about 25-30 years before.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Dan11Nil7Vs/S ... c-1909.jpg

Sadly, it is no longer around and was torn down before historic preservation got a foothold in Astoria, Oregon. It would be a splendid example of Second Empire.
RickBalkins

Previous

Return to Residential Design and Building Forum