On going project -more than min.

Discuss all kinds of home design and building, residential remodeling, and related topics.

On going project -more than min.

Postby csintexas » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Here is a project that is more than just minimum design work. We have actually been working on it on and off for the last few years but the client finally sold their house and we are moving towards finalizing everything.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cspics/set ... 7904/show/

csintexas
millennium club

Postby SDR » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:52 pm

Nice colors, for a start.

I'm puzzled as to why level views -- inside and out -- would present the kind of distortion of verticals that one associates with a birds-eye perspective -- aren't you ? Or are you "leaning" toward Zaha Hadid, in your old age ? (Sorry -- bad pun.)

Anyway, thanks for the tour. I was very impressed with your last projects. The interior renderings here show nice work -- leaning walls or not. And the exterior is handsome, tidy, and original. I like the semi-carport (or open garage ?) -- very sensible.

Steve
SDR
millennium club

Postby phansford » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:42 am

I was thinking the same... the view you have shown here is creating some distortion.

It is a very compact plan. I think adding the additional height over the Kitchen and Dining Room would be helpful - let all three public spaces be expressed equally in volume.

There are small things that bother me, but they may be client driven. And by necessity of the compactness of the design.

The Veranda is a nice detail.... it seems to run in your work and it very reflective of the Texas (IMO). I'd like to see the exterior living spaces in the back of the house expanded to match what you've created in the front.

What type of lot does this sit on.... suburban or rural?
phansford
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:15 am

The distortion is built into the software. It can be minimized some by selecting a narrow viewing angle (which I would normally do for an exterior view but forgot about this time) on a interior view it is a compromise to see more of the room vs. having the distortion.

I wish the software had a better perspective generator.

This was originally this project:

http://www.designcommunity.com/forums/v ... xas+modern

...but the clients decided to scale down because this is planed to be their retirement home and they wanted to have money left for other things.

This new version is based on one of the plans I was doing for fun which I called the Dogtrot House. I originally had small vestibules separating the bedrooms more but cut those out to save space.

I see the logic of treating public spaces more equally although I prefer the separation and giving each space it's own identity. I think the clients would have also prefered the porch extended across the back as well.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby webgain » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 am

the ground of the image is original and house color is beautiful. some few correction can be done on this house but good work
webgain

Postby SDR » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:29 am

Yes, Chris has a nice way with color, among other things. I was really intrigued and impressed by some very original work he showed us last year. I hope more of that is in the offing . . .

S D R
SDR
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks SDR,

I find it difficult to maintain a high level of passion and enthusiasm for architecture in this world. Sometimes I feel that nothing I do will ever be good enough.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby SDR » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:16 pm

I believe that's called "the human condition" ? At least you're not one of the self-satisfied fools who think everything they do is a masterpiece . . .!

Keep on keepin' on. That's good enough, and will get you to where you're going.

S
SDR
millennium club

Postby Aliza » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:15 pm

looks like a nice neat design
Aliza

Postby csintexas » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:22 pm

csintexas
millennium club

Re: On going project -more than min.

Postby KristoT » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:01 am

Overall I really like the design. I would like to see that front porch extended around to the back of the house. Maybe even build it out more in the back to have an outdoor dining area and perhaps a pool. I've been talking with swimming pools Nashville companies about possibly putting a pool and patio in my back yard. I do question the exterior door in the master bedroom. With the front door right outside the master bedroom, why would you need an exterior door in the master? The other thing I was wondering about was in regards to the carport, I like the one exterior wall of it as well as the built in cabinets but why not built a back wall to close the car port in and hide the cars from the back yard where you will possibly entertain?
Last edited by KristoT on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KristoT

Postby csintexas » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:50 am

Hello KristoT
The exterior porch size and the bedroom door is related to cost and client preferences.

The carport can be used as an covered porch for entertaining larger groups by parking the cars somewhere else.

The construction on this house is started so I will take some pics.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby djswan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:25 am

Cool :) glad to see some work out there. Anyone want to elaborate a bit on the human condition? and why do I feel so tired?
djswan
millennium club

Postby unclebirgco » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:00 am

Hey DJ,

Sorry you're feeling tired and probably a little down.
You can fight back, here's what to do to battle the blues..

(Usually I don't offer any know-it-all advice, but since you asked) :D

Go to bed before 11 p.m.
Sleep in total darkness (helps with the sleep cycle etc.)
Take long walks (at least 45 mins.)
Cut out foods that contain sugar or come in a box (the exception is oatmeal because it is a whole grain/food)
Hang out with positive people, (negativism is contagious)
Volunteer. (it always makes me fell better to help someone or a good cause)
Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum (no more than 6 days a week)
Have more sex. (this can be a problem if you have been married
for any significant amount of time but at least try.) :wink:

Hope this helps.

your cousin,
cousinbirgco
(a.k.a. unclebirgco because for some %#@#?*& reason
I couldn't get back on D.C. under my old name)
unclebirgco

Postby csintexas » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:19 am

Unfortunately this project is not going to meet the high standards which Birgco set in his traditional home project.

The framing method used was to throw lumber at it and disregard any details drawn on the plan:

IMG_3805_resize by csintexas, on Flickr

IMG_3814_resize by csintexas, on Flickr
csintexas
millennium club

Next

Return to Residential Design and Building Forum