ArchWeek - Richard Rogers Stirling Prize

Discuss architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design related-topics. Moderated by the ArchitectureWeek editorial and support team.

ArchWeek - Richard Rogers Stirling Prize

Postby Kevin Matthews » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:11 am

<i>This forum thread is for discussion of the <a href="http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/today.html">ArchitectureWeek</a> article:</i><br>
<p>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JavaScript src="http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/2006/1025/news_1-1.float.js">
</SCRIPT>
Kevin Matthews

Postby Tomek » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:01 am

Wow! Political correct still going mad amongst the still middle class, London centric and biased organisation we know as the ever praised; RIBA.

Hmmmmm, the prize for the best building in Britain for 2006 is in......Spain?
Tomek

Postby Landy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:55 pm

good that such intervention was made to the Barajas Airport the last time I visit the airport was in bad shape, at least the gates for Iberia.
Landy

Postby elisa kouloumenta » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:51 am

i have no faith in prizes. i 've some excellenet work architects have made but there has never been any talk about it. what is a prize after all and who decides for that?
elisa kouloumenta

Postby Landy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:57 am

yes!
like Kevin once posted "righteous"
don't worry Elisa and the millions of architects outhere let's all treasure our imaginary RIBA medal and AIA awards, almost forgot Pritzker. But wait! are the people awarded the actual designers?
Landy

Postby elisa kouloumenta » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:17 am

Hi Sandy!! i totally agree with you on this. Who of the great architects actually work on a project? they are mostly like leaders i imagine and through my short experience sometimes they aren't even leaders. And then what is more important? to be part of a star system and whatever you build you just take a prize or to build a small house and trying to cover people's needs, even when you know that you may not even get paid?
elisa kouloumenta

Postby Landy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:24 am

Elisa, we all share difficult experiences in architecture. We cannot be discouraged by the people that surround us. Architecture is fair and trust me at some time in your life, some way or another you will get your reward. It is all about the time you spend on it. I usually use examples to explain my beliefes: My uncle is a pilot and pilots get better by the flight hours they spend. Architecture is almost identical is about how much time you spend fostering your thoughts and skills that makes you a better architect.
all the best 8)
Landy

Postby elisa kouloumenta » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:32 pm

thanks landy for your beautiful advice, it's so true...anyway i am not the kind of person who gets disappointed, never and by nobody. architecture is the most beautiful job (if we can call it a job) and its gets more and more interesting every day. it's an entire world we discover over and over again, and it never ends. i could never think of myself doing something else and i never tried to..see u
elisa kouloumenta

Postby studio » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:51 am

architecture is really a interesting job, but would we work for prize? i think this's gonna be political issue, m i right?

those architect like zaha hadid, richard mier, tadao ando, they all have their 'signatural design', they work for theirown.... :wink:
studio

Postby elisa kouloumenta » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:54 am

exactly studio, architecture is not about prizes.Who really cares? i believe architecture has to do with creativity, humanity, and art. all the rest is for the rest...
elisa kouloumenta

Return to Architecture Forum