[FoE-D] [FoE-B] Some thoughts on Eugene climate plan...
matthews at artifice.com
Tue Sep 14 08:04:48 PDT 2010
Dear Mayor Piercy and City Councillors,
On behalf of Friends of Eugene, I'd like to suggest a few questions that one might ask while reviewing and evaluating the latest draft of the Eugene Climate and Energy Plan (CEAP).
- Does the plan lay out a clear carbon budget that would help guide us in estimating the sufficiency of its likely outcomes?
- Is the plan, in terms of its objectives and proposed actions, sufficient to meet the goals in our state-adopted greenhouse gas emissions reduction standards?
- If not overall, are some parts of the plan more clearly calibrated to meet our goals, while others may not project to meet our goals? Where does this difference exist for fundamental reasons, and where, perhaps because calibration work is simply incomplete?
- Is the plan well-grounded in reasonably documented facts about Eugene?
- How does the plan balance individual responsibility and initiative, with government responsibility and initiative? Considering that this is a government plan, what do you think is the appropriate balance for it to strike?
- Is the plan clear about what objectives and actions relate to climate change mitigation (reducing emissions), as distinct from climate change adaptation (surviving the impacts of increasing climate change)? Please consider that the Portland plan puts adaptation actions in their own section for clarity.
In addition to the material that staff will be presenting to you, Friends of Eugene has posted some working analysis online of the latest plan draft plan (as made available to the public), at:
We feel that our sincere collective commitment in Eugene to substantive climate planning will be best served by a plan that will - to the best of our current knowledge, and certainly subject to periodic revision - demonstrably put us onto the greenhouse gas emissions reduction glide path, over time, as benchmarked by the state adopted emissions reduction goals.
with best wishes,
Friends of Eugene
Please join with Friends of Eugene to help save our city's creeks
and ridges and rivers, for birds and fish and trees and otters and
people, too. For affordable housing and urban place and green space
and greater health and happiness.
This special part of Oregon needs all our hope, help, and love
together to create real solutions to grow better, not just bigger,
while reducing our carbon footprint, and addressing West Eugene
transportation concerns, for downtown revitalization and riverfront
restoration, for a healthy regional balance, to reach toward social
and political and environmental equity, to support all the efforts
for a safe, fun, sustainable, livable Eugene!
Please help, join, and contribute online:
foe_board mailing list
foe_board at friendsofeugene.org
More information about the foe_discuss