Posted by Verve on March 06, 2002 at 09:43:49:
A link to Northern England - Aspatria
" Saint Kentigern's Church in Aspatria has a very long history. Just inside the door of the church is a set of three slate tablets which give the names of vicars going back as far as 1174 or so. These tablets were the gift of Mrs. Constance Calverley, whose late husband, William Slater Calverley was vicar of the church from 1885 to 1898. Revd Calverley is buried in the churchyard of St. Kentigern's Church, near the east window. His monument is a beautifully-carved cross very much inspired by the Norse cross at Dearham. Calverley was an enthusiast for the the ancient Christian monuments of the diocese of Carlisle, and his enthusiasm accounts for the presence in the churchyard of another replica monument, a copy of the great Gosforth Cross"